How to Lay Out Tiles to Create Largest Circular Area

In summary, during college applications, a man came across a question about arranging twenty-four 6" x 6" metal squares on a desk to cover the largest circular area possible. Not being good at math, the person chose to answer a different question but was always curious about the answer to this problem. The only solution they could think of was to lay the tiles out in a square. However, according to a link provided, making a square is not the best solution with 24 tiles. The person had unlimited time and was allowed to use a computer for the application.
joncarlos
A few months ago during college apps I came across the following question:

a man has twenty-four 6" x 6" metal squares. he wants to lay them out on his desk so that he can cover as large a circular area as possible. how should he arrange the tiles? (note that the tiles will not form a circle themselves, but must completely cover the circular area.)

im not very good at math, so i chose to answer another question instead of this one for the application, but i always wondered what the answer to this problem was. the only thing i can think of is that you should lay the tiles out in a square...what do you guys think?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did you get to use a computer and how much time did you have for it?

According to this link http://www2.stetson.edu/~efriedma/sqcovcir/"

making a square is not the best solution if you have 16 squares, and you can't make
a square with 24 tiles anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
we had as much time as we needed. it was a part of a college application I did. So yes, we were allowed to use a computer.

1. What is the mathematical concept behind laying out tiles to create the largest circular area?

The mathematical concept behind this is called optimization, specifically maximizing the area of a circle. This involves using calculus to find the maximum value of a function, which in this case is the area of a circle.

2. How do I determine the number of tiles needed to create the largest circular area?

To determine the number of tiles needed, you will need to know the radius of the circle and the size of the tiles. Divide the radius by the length of one side of the tile, and then square the result to get the number of tiles needed.

3. Can I use any shape of tile to create the largest circular area?

No, the shape of the tile will affect the overall shape of the area. To create the largest circular area, you will need to use square tiles that are all the same size.

4. Is there a specific pattern or arrangement to follow when laying out the tiles?

Yes, the tiles should be arranged in a grid pattern with each tile touching at least two other tiles. This will ensure that there are no gaps and the maximum area is covered.

5. Are there any real-life applications for this mathematical concept?

Yes, this concept can be applied in various fields such as architecture, landscaping, and engineering. It can help in optimizing the use of space and materials to create the largest circular area possible.