How to learn differentiation and integration in 14 days?

In summary, the person is in their last year of high school and needs to study differentiation and integration for a university test in two weeks. They ask if it's possible and how they should study. It is possible to learn differentiation in that time, but not become an expert at integration. The suggestion is to practice and use online resources, such as Paul's online notes on calculus. The person plans to focus on understanding the main techniques of integration and grasp as much as they can with differentiation.
greg_rack
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I should learn the concepts in the image below in about two weeks.
Schermata 2020-10-19 alle 15.51.38.pngSchermata 2020-10-19 alle 15.51.53.png The detailed list of the concepts I should master
I'm attending the last year of high school and I'm currently studying limits.
For university test reasons I'll need to study on my own topics such as differentiation and integration... and I have just 14 days to do so!
Firstly, do you think it's possible?
Secondly, is yes, how should I do it? Would you recommend me like online dispensations offering not a too-detailed and broad explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Summary:: I should learn the concepts in the image below in about two weeks.

Firstly, do you think it's possible?
Differentiation, yes. Integration, no. Or as a teacher of mine had put it: "Every idiot can differentiate, but integration takes an artist." Sure, this is a bit exaggerated. You can learn how to use the standard techniques of integration (polynomials, trig functions, substitution, integration by parts, partial fraction decomposition, log and exp), but you cannot become an artist in that time. You see, my list for integration alone is stuff for a week, even without tricks like the Weierstraß substitution and similar. Differentiation should be easier.

Whether this makes sense, i.e. whether you will be able to keep that in mind is a completely different issue. The usual way to learn it such that you can use it at any time is: practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, ...

• Sad
Likes LCSphysicist, berkeman and greg_rack
It's a question of how much you can learn in two weeks. You could probably get a good grasp of differentiation in that time. Both differentiation and integration (one week each) seems like a lot to me. Not impossible.

I like Paul's online notes for all things calculus:

https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx

• Informative
Likes berkeman and greg_rack
PeroK said:
It's a question of how much you can learn in two weeks. You could probably get a good grasp of differentiation in that time. Both differentiation and integration (one week each) seems like a lot to me. Not impossible.

I like Paul's online notes for all things calculus:

https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx
Thank you! I think I'll probably take a grounding of what integration is with its main techniques, and try to grasp as much as I can with differentiation.
I'll definitely check the website you've recommended

1. What is differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are two fundamental concepts in calculus. Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve.

2. Is it possible to learn differentiation and integration in 14 days?

It is possible to learn the basics of differentiation and integration in 14 days, but mastering these concepts takes time and practice. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before attempting to learn calculus.

3. What are some tips for learning differentiation and integration in 14 days?

Some tips for learning differentiation and integration in 14 days include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and using online resources such as videos and practice problems.

4. How can I prepare for learning differentiation and integration in 14 days?

To prepare for learning differentiation and integration in 14 days, it is important to review algebra and trigonometry concepts, familiarize yourself with basic calculus terminology, and have a positive attitude and determination to learn.

5. What are some real-life applications of differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include calculating velocity and acceleration of moving objects, determining optimal solutions in business and economics, and analyzing data trends in scientific research.