How to measure height above sea level

In summary, the height above sea level within one centimeter is measured by using GPS style satellites.
TSN79
When drawing sewer pipes, I often include the height above sea level within one centimeter to get the correct fall, simply cause I've been told to do so. I'm just curious as to how this height is actually measured by the people who actually lay these pipes? Is there some kind of instrument that tells you this height directly and with such good precision?

Engineering news on Phys.org
GPS style Satalites do it. I think

they time how long it takes to get from the satalites position to the ground and back to the satalite, feed oit into a program and, whala its there. that's what i suspect.

And it's good down to one centimeter?! Don't "normal" GPS handy-things have a precision of like 10-20 meters or something...? Maybe these instruments are perfectly tuned for this...thx!

the Military keep all the best ones so they might have one up to 1mm , maybe.

you could always use a topography program for it

I have had surveys done for my installation. They used GPS. The accuracy I was given was, if all goes well, down to a couple of inches. That being said, that was also doing, what they referred to, as a chain traverse (or something like that) in which they started at their control point and traversed about 20 points in succession back to the original point. In that circumstance I could see the couple of inches being an accumulated error. You do have to ask yourself if the accuracy you are looking for is necessary.

Elevations are typically transferred from a known point, called a bench mark, to a project point with 'Level Loops' using equipment that is just for leveling. You run a loop to determine closure, i.e. subtract the change in elevations going one way from the change coming back and divide it by the length of the run.

There are different levels of rigor for different types of work. The closure depends on both the error and the length of the loop. A typical closure of 1:10,000 is achieved with good equipment and methods.

GPS is not typically used to transfer elevations if a high degree of accuracy is required.

Last edited:
When taking many stationary fixes and averaging them, you can get much more accurate than the typical individual fix accuracy of 3m (with Dgps).

russ_watters said:
When taking many stationary fixes and averaging them, you can get much more accurate than the typical individual fix accuracy of 3m (with Dgps).

IIRC, Differential GPS can be accurate down to 1cm (theoretical). They do use DGPS units with enough accuracy on an airplane to accurately measure pitch, yaw, and roll, so I know they are very accurate in the correct applications.

1. What is the most accurate way to measure height above sea level?

The most accurate way to measure height above sea level is by using a geodetic surveying method, which involves using specialized equipment such as GPS receivers, laser rangefinders, and satellite imagery to determine the exact elevation of a specific point on the Earth's surface.

2. Can I use a standard measuring tape to measure height above sea level?

No, a standard measuring tape is not recommended for measuring height above sea level as it is not accurate enough and does not take into account factors such as curvature of the Earth's surface and local variations in gravity.

3. How does air pressure affect the measurement of height above sea level?

Air pressure does have an impact on the measurement of height above sea level, as it can cause slight variations in the readings. However, modern geodetic surveying techniques take into account and correct for these variations to provide accurate measurements.

4. How do I convert height above sea level to other units of measurement?

Height above sea level is commonly measured in meters or feet, but can also be expressed in other units such as kilometers, miles, or even atmospheric pressure units. There are various conversion calculators available online that can help with these conversions.

5. Is it possible to measure height above sea level without specialized equipment?

While it is possible to estimate the height above sea level using basic equipment such as a barometer, this method is not as accurate as using specialized equipment. It is also important to note that the height measured using this method may vary from the actual height due to local variations in atmospheric pressure.