How to model and resolve a static non-interpenetration constraint

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of modeling N spherical points in R3 with masses and bounding radii, and the use of inequality constraints to solve for the configuration space. The solution is a geometric projection to intersecting "planes" defined by unique pairs, and the solution surface is not a hyperplane but rather a hypercylinder, making it a quadratic programming problem.
fermipasta
*Constraints (sorry the title got mangled)

I want to model N spherical points pi in R3 with masses mi and bounding radii of ri for 1 <= i <= N.

So I can write (N2-N)/2 inequality constraints:

Ci,j : ||pi - pj|| - ri - rj >= 0

for unique pairs of i,j.

Looking at the same problem for three independent "spheres" (intervals) in 1D, it is possible to visualize clearly since the configuration space is then R3, the solution is a geometric projection to the "planes" defined by each unique pair, and to take into account the mass is just to project the point in configuration space along the "mass plane" which is perpendicular to the "mass vector" (m1, m2, m3) to the solution. The solution (if the configuration point is inside one of these forbidden regions) is the nearest "external" point defined by these planes intersecting in the configuration space. This is not too hard to do, it's either the nearest plane (one contact) or a line defined by the intersection of two planes (two contacts).

I'm not sure how think about the configuration space for N spheres in R3. A single pair of spheres would create a 6D configuration space. My thinking may be: if two spheres are in contact, they have either 4 or 5 degrees of freedom in which they "stay in contact", so the configuration manifold for that constraint would be either 4D or 5D. Either sphere may move in two dimensions tangent to the contact point (4 total degrees of freedom). They could both move perpendicular to the contact in the same direction, maybe giving a 5th degree of freedom?

Anyway it seems (?) like a well-defined problem, I'm just not familiar with the usual formulation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the solution surface is not a hyperplane! If I write the constraint explicitly in terms of x,y,z:
$$
(x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1-y_2)^2 + (z_1-z_2)^2 - C = 0
$$
I think it defines some kind of hypercylinder. So at least it seems that its not a system of linear equations, maybe it's a quadratic programming problem.

1. What is a static non-interpenetration constraint?

A static non-interpenetration constraint is a type of mathematical constraint used in computer modeling to prevent overlapping or interpenetration of objects within a simulation. It ensures that the objects in the simulation maintain a certain distance from each other, based on their physical properties.

2. How do you model a static non-interpenetration constraint?

To model a static non-interpenetration constraint, you will need to define the physical properties of the objects in the simulation, such as their size, shape, and position. Then, using mathematical equations and algorithms, you can calculate the minimum distance between the objects and ensure that they do not overlap or intersect.

3. What are the benefits of using a static non-interpenetration constraint in modeling?

Using a static non-interpenetration constraint helps to create more realistic and accurate simulations by preventing unrealistic collisions or overlaps between objects. It also helps to improve the stability and efficiency of the simulation by reducing the number of calculations needed.

4. Can a static non-interpenetration constraint be applied to all types of simulations?

Yes, a static non-interpenetration constraint can be applied to a wide range of simulations in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is commonly used in simulations involving rigid bodies, fluids, and deformable objects.

5. How can you resolve a violation of a static non-interpenetration constraint?

If a violation of the static non-interpenetration constraint occurs, it means that the objects in the simulation have overlapped or intersected. To resolve this, you can use collision detection and response algorithms, which will calculate the new positions and velocities of the objects to avoid the violation. Alternatively, you can also adjust the physical properties or simulation parameters to prevent future violations.