How to prepare for R&D in nuclear power?

In summary, there are various courses that one can pursue after completing their undergraduate education in order to work on next generation nuclear technologies. These courses include nuclear engineering, plasma physics, and particle physics. The types of people working in these areas vary, with some having backgrounds in biophysics, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and plasma physics. The field of fusion power also involves a range of individuals, with a focus on plasma physicists. However, the overlapping areas of physics and engineering can be confusing and intimidating for those interested in pursuing a career in new nuclear technologies. It is important to research and understand the different career paths and options available, as well as the current research being done in the field. Additionally, it is recommended to reach out to
kuchenvater
What courses can I pursue after my undergrad education that will enable me to work on next gen nuclear technologies?

What kinds of people work in these areas and what career paths do they choose?

I've read a lot about the different kinds of people working on Gen 4 reactors(LFTRs, TWRs) and fusion technology and their varied backgrounds. For instance, if you look at MSR technology, Alvin Weinberg who worked on the ORNL MSR experiment had a PhD in Biophysics, Kirk Sorensen (Flibe Energy, gave a few talks on TED) has degrees in mech and aerospace. There are all sorts of people working in the field of fusion power-I'm most aware of the work of plasma physicists.

This is the part where this answer becomes a rambling by a confused guy.

The interlapping areas of physics and engineering are a bit confusing and intimidating, because I don't want to be on a path to a degree/education that takes me somewhere absolutely unexpected. As of now, I'm studying as a generic applied physics major with courses in quantum, nuclear engineering basics, electronics, cmp etc.

While I'm still a naive undergrad, my interests are a bit on the theoretical side-by that I mean I love working on mathematical modelling/R&D. I started off studying reactor physics, shell models etc on my own and ended up doing some particle physics R work with a professor for quite a while(due to lack of options in nuclear) which I feel might restrict me in that field. Why would a grad school admit me for a programme of nuclear engineering if all I've done is particle physics? I like what little I know of particle physics but I doubt whether I know enough to even pursue it. I thought I'll just focus on the physics that I like and it will all work out but what I'm doing and what I want to do are becoming totally separate things and I have serious doubts about what I should be doing.It may be a good thing, but I want to know where I'm headed and what will be my options in terms of grad school.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kuchenvater said:
don't want to be on a path to a degree/education that takes me somewhere absolutely unexpected

I would then recommend against graduate school.

I spend at least half my day working on things or using techniques that didn't even exist when I was in graduate school. The life of a professional researcher is all about going somewhere absolutely unexpected. If that's not where you want to go, this isn't the life for you.

Likes DEvens
Vanadium 50 said:
I would then recommend against graduate school.

I spend at least half my day working on things or using techniques that didn't even exist when I was in graduate school. The life of a professional researcher is all about going somewhere absolutely unexpected. If that's not where you want to go, this isn't the life for you.
I get what you mean. I agree.

I probably didn't phrase it that well. I meant I don't want to lose control and end up in unfavourable circumstances career-wise, considering the small percentage of people who get assimilated into the academia. I'm okay with academic challenges.

Bleh. I regret posting the latter half of that OP. It wasn't properly fleshed out. Essentially, I'm interested in new nuclear technologies but I'm unsure about where I want to end up-should I be working on plasma physics or nuclear engineering? Can I continue with something else like particle physics which seems to totally diverge from nuclear energy research? Will entering a certain field and enrolling in graduate school restrict me to that field? What kinds of roles do people with degrees in these fields play in research related to new nuclear energy technologies?

This is just getting worse. I feel I'm just writing things that belong in my journal. I can't be the only one with these reservations.

Get yourself to the library and find Physics Today and similar magazines. Find the issue that shows recent grads and where they got jobs. Find the jobs you would like to have. Concentrate on those schools.

Google is your friend. Wikipedia is your friend. Find out who is working on this stuff. Send them emails asking what they look for in new recruits.

This is an interesting website for finding out what research people are doing, though it is strongly oriented towards physics theory.

http://arxiv.org/

Find somebody doing stuff you could be interested in working on. Email them to ask what they look for, and how you could work in this subject.

First of all, it's great to see your interest in pursuing a career in nuclear power research and development. This field is constantly evolving and there is a high demand for skilled scientists and engineers.

To prepare for R&D in nuclear power, it is important to have a strong foundation in both nuclear engineering and physics. You can start by taking courses in nuclear engineering, reactor physics, and nuclear materials in your undergraduate studies. You can also consider taking courses in advanced mathematics, computer programming, and data analysis, as these skills are highly valued in R&D.

After your undergraduate education, there are several options for pursuing further education in next generation nuclear technologies. You can consider a graduate degree in nuclear engineering, where you can specialize in a specific area such as fusion technology or advanced reactor designs. Another option is to pursue a degree in physics, with a focus on nuclear and particle physics, which can also prepare you for a career in R&D in nuclear power.

In terms of the types of people who work in these areas, it is a diverse mix of scientists and engineers from various backgrounds. As you have mentioned, some may have degrees in physics, engineering, or other related fields. It is also common for individuals to have a combination of degrees and experience in different areas.

Career paths in this field can vary depending on your interests and skills. Some may choose to work in national laboratories or research institutions, while others may work in the private sector for companies developing next generation nuclear technologies. There are also opportunities for academic research and teaching positions.

It is important to remember that your undergraduate studies do not have to limit your options for graduate school. While it may be helpful to have a background in nuclear engineering, it is possible to transition into this field with a strong foundation in physics. As long as you are passionate and motivated to learn, there are many paths to a successful career in R&D in nuclear power.

1. How much education is required to work in R&D in nuclear power?

To work in R&D in nuclear power, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as nuclear engineering, physics, or chemistry. However, many positions may require a master's degree or even a Ph.D. for more advanced research roles.

2. What skills and knowledge are necessary for R&D in nuclear power?

Some essential skills and knowledge for R&D in nuclear power include a strong understanding of nuclear physics and engineering principles, knowledge of nuclear safety regulations and protocols, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and proficiency in computer modeling and simulation.

3. What type of work can I expect in R&D for nuclear power?

In R&D for nuclear power, you can expect to conduct experiments, analyze data, develop and test new technologies and materials, and collaborate with other researchers and scientists to advance the field of nuclear power. You may also be involved in designing and implementing safety protocols and procedures, as well as presenting your findings and research to colleagues and stakeholders.

4. Are there any risks involved in R&D for nuclear power?

While working in R&D for nuclear power, you may be exposed to some risks, such as radiation exposure and potential accidents. However, strict safety protocols and procedures are in place to minimize these risks, and it is essential to follow all safety guidelines and regulations at all times.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in R&D for nuclear power?

To stay updated on the latest developments in R&D for nuclear power, you can attend conferences and workshops, read scientific journals and publications, and network with other researchers and professionals in the field. You can also join professional organizations and associations related to nuclear power to stay informed about advancements and opportunities in R&D.