How to prove sequence converges quadratically to a root of multiplicity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a sequence converges quadratically to a root of multiplicity $m>1$ at the point $x_*$ if $f^{(m)}(x_*)\neq0$. The suggested method involves using Taylor's series and expanding $f(x_k)$ around $x_*$ until the $m$-th order derivative term, which has the form $(x_k-x_*)^mf^{(m)}(x_k)/m!$, and similarly for $f'(x_k)$.
i_a_n
A function f has a root of multiplicity $m>1$ at the point $ x_*$ if $f(x_*)=f'(x_*)=...=f^{(m-1)}(x_*)=0$. Assume that the iteration$ x_{k+1}=x_k-mf(x_k)/f'(x_k)$ converges to $x_*$. If$ f^{(m)}(x_*)≠0$, prove that this sequence converges quadratically.(We may use the Taylor's series, but I cannot get the result we need to prove.
Expand
expand $f(x_k)$ around $x_*$ until $m$-th order derivative term, which has the form
$(x_k - x_*)^m f^{(m)} (x_k) / m!$, and similarly for $ f ' (x_k)$ )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: how to prove sequence converges quadratically to a root of multiplicity

In an effort to let our helpers know where you are stuck, can you post your working so far and/or your thoughts on what you should try?

ianchenmu said:
A function f has a root of multiplicity $m>1$ at the point $ x_*$ if $f(x_*)=f'(x_*)=...=f^{(m-1)}(x_*)=0$. Assume that the iteration$ x_{k+1}=x_k-mf(x_k)/f'(x_k)$ converges to $x_*$. If$ f^{(m)}(x_*)≠0$, prove that this sequence converges quadratically.(We may use the Taylor's series, but I cannot get the result we need to prove.
Expand
expand $f(x_k)$ around $x_*$ until $m$-th order derivative term, which has the form
$(x_k - x_*)^m f^{(m)} (x_k) / m!$, and similarly for $ f ' (x_k)$ )

Hey!
This looks a lot like the other thread, where I posted http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f16/optimization-problem-Newtons-method-3447/#post15282.
Heck, you can even copy and paste it, and tweak it a little to be more generalized.
How far can you get?

Hmm, I thought you would be able to do this.
I guess I was wrong.
Ah well, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

To prove that the sequence converges quadratically, we need to show that the error term, which is the difference between the actual root and the approximated root, decreases quadratically with each iteration.

Let $x_*$ be the root of multiplicity $m$ and let $x_k$ be the $k$th iteration of the sequence. We can express the error term as $e_k = x_* - x_k$. Using Taylor's series expansion, we can write:

$f(x_*) = f(x_k) + (x_* - x_k)f'(x_k) + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^2}{2!}f''(x_k) + ... + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^m}{m!}f^{(m)}(x_k)$

Since $f(x_*) = 0$ (as $x_*$ is a root), we can simplify this expression to:

$0 = (x_* - x_k)f'(x_k) + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^2}{2!}f''(x_k) + ... + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^m}{m!}f^{(m)}(x_k)$

Dividing both sides by $f'(x_k)$ (since $f'(x_k) \neq 0$ for convergence), we get:

$0 = x_* - x_k + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^2}{2!}\frac{f''(x_k)}{f'(x_k)} + ... + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^m}{m!}\frac{f^{(m)}(x_k)}{f'(x_k)}$

Since $f^{(m)}(x_*) \neq 0$, we can rewrite the last term as:

$0 = x_* - x_k + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^2}{2!}\frac{f''(x_k)}{f'(x_k)} + ... + \frac{(x_* - x_k)^{m-1}}{(m-1)!}\frac{f^{(m-1)}(x_k)}{f'(x_k)}$

Substituting $f^{(m-1)}(x_k) = 0$ (as $x_*$ is a root of multiplicity $m$),

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that are arranged in a specific order. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

2. What is convergence?

Convergence is the property of a sequence that means it approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a particular value as more terms are added.

3. What is a root of multiplicity?

A root of multiplicity is a root of a polynomial equation that occurs multiple times. For example, in the equation x^2 - 4x + 4 = 0, the root x = 2 has a multiplicity of 2 because it is a solution to the equation twice.

4. How do you prove that a sequence converges quadratically to a root of multiplicity?

To prove that a sequence (an) converges quadratically to a root of multiplicity r, you must show that lim(n→∞) |an-r|/|an-1|^2 = 0. This means that as the number of terms in the sequence increases, the absolute value of the difference between each term and the root r divided by the square of the difference between each term and the previous term approaches 0.

5. What is the significance of proving quadratic convergence?

Proving quadratic convergence is significant because it shows that a sequence is approaching a root of multiplicity in a very efficient and rapid manner. This type of convergence is desirable in numerical analysis and scientific computing because it indicates that the sequence will reach its desired value with fewer terms, making calculations faster and more accurate.