How to put publication on resume?

In summary, it's probably not a good idea to include this on your resume unless you specifically know the job you're applying to requires it.
drcne
I just recently published a 15 page educational handout on my college's website through my job. This handout does not have my name on it even though I spent weeks writing it. Instead, it has the name of the place that I work at.

Can I put this on my resume?

P.S. My boss is pretty mad at me right now because I just switched my schedule, so I'm worried that I can't use her as a reference for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, put it on your resume listing all authors if any and explain the reason the authors names are missing from the actual document if someone questions it.

Be aware that it probably won't carry much weight as its a handout and not like something published in a journal. However, if the jobs you're seeking have this as a requirement then it shows your skill as a writer.

drcne said:
I just recently published a 15 page educational handout on my college's website through my job. This handout does not have my name on it even though I spent weeks writing it. Instead, it has the name of the place that I work at.

Can I put this on my resume?

P.S. My boss is pretty mad at me right now because I just switched my schedule, so I'm worried that I can't use her as a reference for this.

First of all, I will not call this a "publication", at least, not in the academic sense. So I strongly suggest that you do not refer to this as a publication in your resume. You may call it a documentation or even a hand-out.

Secondly, is the inclusion of this help your resume? Or it will make it sound "desperate" that makes it appear that you lack other things to include? While including this may look fine for a generic resume, if you are using it to apply for a position, then you have to tailor your resume accordingly. You need to ask if you should include such-and-such on your resume for that particular position. Including more, and including all, is not necessarily a good thing, especially if the person reading your resume gets the impression that you are including every single minutia of your activities and accomplishments. Trust me, I've read such resume, and my interest in reading the 4-page resume got lost by the end of the 2nd page!

Zz.

Likes jedishrfu

1. How should I format my publication on my resume?

Your publication should be listed in reverse chronological order, with the most recent publication first. It should include the title of the publication, the authors, the journal or conference it was published in, the date it was published, and a link to the publication if available.

2. Should I include publications that are not directly related to my field of study?

It is generally recommended to only include publications that are relevant to your field of study or the job you are applying for. However, if you have a publication that showcases a valuable skill or accomplishment, it may be worth including on your resume.

3. Can I include publications that are still under review?

Yes, you can include publications that are still under review or in the process of being published. Simply list them as "In Review" or "In Progress" and provide any necessary details, such as the journal or conference it is being submitted to.

4. How many publications should I include on my resume?

It is generally recommended to include a maximum of five publications on your resume. Choose the ones that are most relevant and impressive, and make sure to provide enough information for the employer to understand the significance of your publication.

5. Should I include publications that I co-authored with my advisor or colleagues?

Yes, you can include publications that you co-authored with your advisor or colleagues, as long as you played a significant role in the publication. Make sure to clearly state your role and contributions in the publication, such as "Co-author" or "Lead researcher."