How to select one from these two books? (Physical Mathematics)

In summary, the speaker is an HDR student in Condensed Matter Physics looking for a book to enhance their math abilities for learning physics. They have found two potential options, "Mathematical Physics 2nd" by S.Hassani and "Physical Mathematics 2nd" by K.Cahill, and are seeking advice on which one to choose. The speaker mentions that Hassani covers more topics and has more advanced topics, while Cahill covers introductory topics such as Statistics, Monte Carlo Methods, and Renormalization. They suggest making a list of desired topics and creating a plan to decide which book would be more beneficial.
Photonico
Dear everyone,

I'm an HDR student in Condensed Matter Physics. I want to enhance my math ability with the aim is learning physics.
I found two books, they seem all fit my purpose.

1. Mathematical Physics 2nd by S.Hassani
2. Physical Mathematics 2nd by K.Cahill

I want to choose one of them to learn because the time is precious. I need some valuable advice about it.

Cheers,
Lu

Physics news on Phys.org
Hassani covers more topics.

Likes vanhees71 and Photonico
Read a chapter from each. Pick the one you learn more from.

Likes Vanadium 50, Demystifier, vanhees71 and 1 other person
malawi_glenn said:
Hassani covers more topics.
I found that Hassani's book has more advanced topics, but Cahill has many introductory topics which are not contained in Hassani's book, such as Statistics, Monte Carlo Methods, and Renormalization...

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
you could do a list of topics that you want to learn, and then do a plan

Likes vanhees71 and Photonico

1. What is the difference between "Physical Mathematics" and "Mathematical Physics"?

"Physical Mathematics" focuses on the application of mathematical concepts to solve problems in physics, while "Mathematical Physics" focuses on the development of mathematical theories to explain physical phenomena. Both fields are closely related and use similar mathematical tools, but have slightly different focuses.

2. Which book is more suitable for a beginner in physics?

Both books assume some background knowledge in mathematics and physics, so it ultimately depends on the individual's level of understanding. However, "Physical Mathematics" may be more accessible to beginners as it provides more practical applications and examples.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding these books?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is recommended for both books. Some knowledge of differential equations and vector calculus may also be helpful.

4. Can these books be used as textbooks for a course?

While both books are comprehensive and cover a wide range of topics, they are not specifically designed as textbooks. They may be used as supplementary texts or for self-study, but may not follow a traditional textbook format.

5. Which book covers more advanced topics in physics and mathematics?

"Mathematical Physics" may cover more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and differential geometry, while "Physical Mathematics" may cover more advanced topics in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. It ultimately depends on the specific topics and depth of coverage in each book.