How to solve log(x)+2x=2 for x?

• B
  • Thread starter cakeroot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving the equation log(x)+2x+2=0 and introduces the Lambert W function as a possible solution. The conversation also clarifies that the W function is not a strange or magical concept, but rather similar to other transcendental functions such as sine and cosine. The solution is derived using the definition of the W function, and multiplying both sides by 2.
cakeroot
Hello:
could anyone know how to solve this equation?
log(x)+2x+2=0
I found the similar problem on another thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-solve-log-x-x-2-0-for-x.537411/
it can be solve by lambert w function,
but in this equation we can't reshape it to xe^x that I can't solve by lambert w function.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes you can apply the W function to this. It is perfectly possible to rewrite your equation in terms of it.

Apart from that, you will not find a closed form solution.

You can guess that x=1, but for some other numbers like log(x)+1.5x=4 you have to solve it iteratively because it's a transcendental equation. Lambert W is just a name that has been given to the results of that kind of iterations.

hilbert2 said:
Lambert W is just a name that has been given to the results of that kind of iterations.
Like sin and cos are also just names that we have given other transcendental functions. Just to point out that it is not something strange and magical about the W.

Orodruin said:
Yes you can apply the W function to this. It is perfectly possible to rewrite your equation in terms of it.

Apart from that, you will not find a closed form solution.

thanks for your respond!

but I still encountered difficulties in this problem,

the following is my derivation process:

##log(x)=-2x-2##

##x = e^{-2-2x}##

##xe^{2+2x}=1##

##xe^{2x} = \frac{1}{e^2}##

how can I solve it by lambert w?

or others solutions?

Orodruin said:
Like sin and cos are also just names that we have given other transcendental functions. Just to point out that it is not something strange and magical about the W.

Yes, I should probably have stressed that fact more. The W function may be said to be a bit more exotic object that sine or cosine, though, as its power series and the differential equation producing it as solution are not as simple as those of sin and cos. Also, it doesn't appear in any fundamental physical model (sin and cos are found in the energy eigenfunctions of a free particle and the trajectory of harmonic oscillator).

cakeroot said:
xe^2x = 1/(e^2)

By definition, ##W(z)e^{W(z)}=z##. Here ##z=\frac{1}{e^2}##, and your solution is W(z).

Edit: Forgot the factor 2. See two posts below.

What exactly is the initial problem statement? Title and first post have two different equations.

Last edited:
Likes cakeroot
mfb said:
By definition, ##W(z)e^{W(z)}=z##. Here ##z=\frac{1}{e^2}##, and your solution is W(z).

What exactly is the initial problem statement? Title and first post have two different equations.

I apologize for my negligence,

the first post is right => log(x)+2x+2=0,---------------------------------------------------
the left side of equation is ##xe^{2x}##,
and if shift to ##xe^{x}## will cause:
##xe^{x}=\frac{1}{e^{2+x}}##,
then the right side included x that I can't solve it by w function.

please correct me if I am wrong,
thanks

cakeroot said:
##xe^{2x} = \frac{1}{e^2}##

or others solutions?

Multiply both sides by 2 ...

Likes Douglas Sunday and cakeroot
mfb said:

Orodruin said:
Multiply both sides by 2 ...

ah, ok, I think I understand what to do now,
thanks!

1. What is the first step in solving log(x)+2x=2 for x?

The first step in solving this equation is to isolate the logarithmic term by subtracting 2x from both sides.

2. Do I need to use any special rules or properties to solve this equation?

Yes, you will need to use the logarithmic property log(a)+log(b)=log(ab) to simplify the left side of the equation.

3. Can I solve this equation without using logarithms?

No, since the equation contains a logarithmic term, you will need to use logarithms to solve for x.

4. What do I need to do after simplifying the left side of the equation?

After simplifying, you will need to use the inverse property of logarithms, which states that logb(bx)=x, to isolate x.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x that can be solutions to this equation?

Yes, since logarithms are not defined for negative numbers, the solutions to this equation must be positive. Additionally, the value of x cannot be 1, as log(1)=0 and the equation would become 0=2, which is not possible.