How to Solve POTW #206 Using Contour Integration?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical problem of the week #206, its difficulty level, purpose, and submission process. It challenges individuals to use their problem-solving skills and encourages critical thinking in mathematics. The difficulty level varies depending on an individual's proficiency, and solutions can be submitted through a designated platform or email. There may be a prize for solving the problem, but it varies among different organizations.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
By method of contour integration, find the values of the integrals

$$\int_{-\infty + i\alpha}^{\infty + i\alpha} e^{-x^2}\, dx$$

for all $\alpha \ge 0$.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can view my solution below.
For $\alpha = 0$, the integral is $\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2}\, dx = \sqrt{\pi}$. Let $\alpha > 0$ and $R > 0$. Consider the contour integral $\int_{\Gamma(R,\alpha)} e^{-z^2}\, dz$, where $\Gamma(R,\alpha)$ is the rectangle $\{z = x + iy: -R \le x \le R, 0 \le y \le \alpha\}$. Since $z\mapsto e^{-z^2}$ is an entire function, Cauchy's theorem gives $\int_{\Gamma(R,\alpha)} e^{-z^2}\, dz = 0$. Furthermore, the integrals of $e^{-z^2}$ along the vertical edges of $\Gamma(R,\alpha)$ are dominated by $Ce^{-R^2}$, where $C = \int_0^\alpha e^{t^2}\, dt$. Hence

$$\int_{-R +i\alpha}^{R + i\alpha} e^{-z^2}\, dz = \int_{-R}^R e^{-x^2}\, dx + O(e^{-R^2})\quad\text{as}\quad R\to \infty$$

Letting $R\to \infty$ yields

$$\int_{-\infty + i\alpha}^{\infty +i\alpha} e^{-z^2}\, dz = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2} = \sqrt{\pi}$$

Related to How to Solve POTW #206 Using Contour Integration?

1. What is the problem of the week #206?

The problem of the week #206 is a mathematical problem that challenges individuals to use their problem-solving skills to find a solution.

2. How difficult is the POTW #206?

The difficulty of POTW #206 varies depending on an individual's mathematical proficiency. It can be considered a moderate level problem.

3. What is the purpose of the POTW #206?

The purpose of POTW #206 is to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills in mathematics, as well as to provide an opportunity for individuals to challenge themselves.

4. How can I submit my solution for POTW #206?

Solutions for POTW #206 can be submitted through the designated platform or email provided by the organization hosting the problem. Make sure to follow the submission guidelines and provide all necessary information.

5. Is there a prize for solving POTW #206?

There may be a prize for solving POTW #206, but it varies depending on the organization hosting the problem. Some may offer a small monetary prize, while others may offer recognition or certificates. It is best to check with the organization for any potential prizes.