How to Use Elliptic Curve Cryptography to Find Inverses and Points on the Curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equations y2 = x3 + x + 1 mod 17 and y2 = x3 + 3x + 1 mod 13 by finding points on the curve and their corresponding inverses. The suggested method is to fill in values for x and use the periodicity of the results to find all the points on the curve. The conversation also discusses the desire to draw the curve point by point to improve calculus skills.
vokoyo
May I know how to solve the equation as below:

(1) y2 = x3 + x + 1 mod 17

Finding Inverses
Finding Points on the Curve

(2) y2 = x3 + 3x + 1 mod 13

Finding Inverses

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
vokoyo said:
May I know how to solve the equation as below:

(1) y2 = x3 + x + 1 mod 17

Finding Inverses

Hi vokoyo,

How about filling in $x=0, ..., 16$.
Those are all the relevant possibilities for $x$.
After that the same results will appear periodically.

That way we find all the points on the curve.
And from the results we can also find all inverses, can't we?

Thank you very much for your advice and suggestion

Please show me your sample solution draft
so that I can improve my calculus skills

I fact I would like to draw the curve line or point by point

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Elliptic Curve Cryptography?

Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) is a type of public key encryption that is based on the algebraic structure of elliptic curves over finite fields. It is used for secure communication and data encryption in various applications such as online banking, e-commerce, and digital signatures.

How does Elliptic Curve Cryptography work?

ECC uses a mathematical equation in the form of an elliptic curve to generate public and private key pairs. The public key can be shared with anyone, while the private key is kept secret. Messages are encrypted using the recipient's public key and can only be decrypted using their private key, ensuring secure communication.

What are the advantages of using Elliptic Curve Cryptography?

ECC offers several advantages over other types of public key cryptography, such as RSA. It allows for shorter key lengths while maintaining the same level of security, making it more efficient in terms of storage and processing. Additionally, ECC is more resistant to quantum computing attacks, making it a more future-proof option.

What are the potential drawbacks of Elliptic Curve Cryptography?

One potential drawback of ECC is its relatively new and complex nature, which can make it more difficult to implement and manage compared to other forms of encryption. Additionally, there have been concerns about the potential for backdoors in ECC algorithms, although these have not been proven.

Where is Elliptic Curve Cryptography used?

ECC is used in a variety of applications, including secure communication protocols like HTTPS and SSH, digital signatures for document and software authentication, and even in cryptocurrency systems such as Bitcoin. It is also becoming more widely adopted in mobile devices due to its efficient use of resources.