How to use Euler's reflection formula for POTW #178?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Euler's reflection formula is a mathematical identity used to relate the gamma function to sine and cosine functions. It is specifically designed for problems involving the gamma function and may not be applicable to other types of mathematical problems. To use it, you need to know the values of the gamma function at positive integers. The purpose of this formula is to extend the gamma function to negative real numbers, making it easier to calculate integrals and probabilities involving complex numbers. However, it does have limitations as it may not be applicable for all values of the gamma function and may not be useful for other types of mathematical problems.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Show that

$$\frac{1}{\Gamma(s)} = -\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_\gamma (-z)^{-s}e^{-z}\, dz,$$

where $\gamma$ is a contour which is the union of a line from $+\infty$ to $\epsilon$ (where $\epsilon > 0$), an $\epsilon$-circle about the origin, and a line from $\epsilon$ to $+\infty$.

-----

Note: If you like, you may use Euler's reflection formula.

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
For $m = 1,2,3,\ldots$, the integrals $\int_{\gamma, |z| \le m} (-z)^{s-1}e^{-z}\, dz$ are entire functions of $s$, and converge uniformly on compact disks, so the limit function

$$\int_{\gamma} (-z)^{s-1}e^{-z}\, dz$$

is entire. This integral does not depend on $\epsilon$, by Cauchy's theorem. Now the integral along the arc of $\gamma$ is negligible as $\epsilon \to 0$. In the upper half of $\gamma$, $\arg(-z) = -\pi$, and in the lower half, $\arg(-z) = \pi$. So the contribution of the rays of $\gamma$ is $$e^{(s-1)\pi i} \int_\epsilon^\infty x^{s-1}e^{-x}\, dx + e^{-(s-1)\pi i} \int_\epsilon^\infty x^{s-1}e^{-x}\, dx = 2i\sin[\pi(s-1)]\int_\epsilon^\infty x^{s-1}e^{-x}\, dx = -2i\sin(\pi s)\int_\epsilon^\infty x^{s-1}e^{-x}\, dx.$$ Since $\int_\epsilon x^{s-1}e^{-x}\, dx \to \Gamma(s)$ as $\epsilon \to 0$ for $\operatorname{Re}(s) > 0$, it follows that

$$\Gamma(s) = -\frac{1}{2i\sin \pi s}\int_\gamma (-z)^{s-1}e^{-z}\, dz$$

for $\operatorname{Re}(s) > 0$. But by the principle of analytic continuation, the above formula holds for all $s\in \Bbb C \setminus \Bbb Z$. Using Euler's reflection formula $\Gamma(s)\Gamma(1 - s) = \pi/\sin(\pi s)$, we deduce

$$\frac{1}{\Gamma(s)} = \frac{i}{2\pi} \int_\gamma (-z)^{-s}e^{-z}\, dz.$$

1. What is Euler's reflection formula?

Euler's reflection formula is a mathematical identity that relates the gamma function to the sine and cosine functions. It is a special case of the beta function and is used to evaluate integrals and calculate probabilities in statistics.

2. How do I use Euler's reflection formula?

To use Euler's reflection formula, you need to know the values of the gamma function at positive integers. Then, you can plug these values into the formula and simplify to get the desired result.

3. What is the purpose of Euler's reflection formula?

The purpose of Euler's reflection formula is to extend the gamma function to the negative real numbers, which allows for easier calculation of integrals and probabilities involving complex numbers.

4. Can Euler's reflection formula be used for any type of problem?

No, Euler's reflection formula is specifically designed for problems involving the gamma function and may not be applicable to other types of mathematical problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's reflection formula?

Yes, Euler's reflection formula is limited to problems involving the gamma function and may not be useful for other types of mathematical problems. Additionally, it may not be applicable for all values of the gamma function, particularly when dealing with complex numbers.