How to write math equations on Physics Forum?

• Thread starter WMDhamnekar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the expectations for homework help seekers in regards to the "Homework Statement" and "relevant equation" sections. Additionally, the use of LaTeX, MathML, and MathJax for writing math equations on Physics Forum is mentioned, with a suggestion to refer to the "LaTeX Guide" for assistance. There is also a mention of a current issue with displaying LaTeX for the first time in a thread.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
I want to know what is expected to be written by homework help seeker in 'Homework Statement' and 'relevant equation'

I also want to know how to write math equations on Physics Forum using latex, MathML or MathJax?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
WMDhamnekar said:
I want to know what is expected to be written by homework help seeker in 'Homework Statement' and 'relevant equation'

I also want to know how to write math equations on Physics Forum using latex, MathML or MathJax?
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Please see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. Also note that there is a current "feature"/bug with displaying LaTeX for the first time in a thread. You may have to refresh your browser window once to get it to render. There are several threads in the PF Feedback forum about the LaTeX issues and tips for how to use it.

1. How do I write fractions and exponents in math equations on Physics Forum?

To write fractions, use the forward slash symbol (/) to represent the division sign. For example, 1/2 would be written as 1/2. To write exponents, use the caret symbol (^) followed by the exponent. For example, 2 squared would be written as 2^2.

2. Can I use Greek letters in math equations on Physics Forum?

Yes, you can use Greek letters by typing the name of the letter in curly brackets. For example, to write the Greek letter "theta," type {theta}. This will display as θ in your equation.

3. How do I write subscripts and superscripts in math equations on Physics Forum?

To write subscripts, use the underscore symbol (_) followed by the subscript. For example, H2O would be written as H_2O. To write superscripts, use the caret symbol (^) followed by the superscript. For example, x squared would be written as x^2.

4. Is there a way to write mathematical symbols, such as integrals and summations, on Physics Forum?

Yes, you can use LaTeX code to write more complex mathematical symbols and equations on Physics Forum. To do this, enclose your code in dollar signs ($). For example, $\int_{0}^{1} x^2 dx$ would display as 01 x2 dx.

5. Can I preview my math equations before posting them on Physics Forum?

Yes, you can use the preview feature on Physics Forum to see how your math equations will appear before posting them. This can help you catch any mistakes or formatting issues before submitting your post.