How would one make a 3 meg picture accessible?

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, the user was able to post a big image on the forum using various methods, but it is too small to read and post. The thread is about testing a bi-directional triode thyristor.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is there a way to post really big jpg images ?

In an EE thread, a kind user cleaned up a PDF schematic diagram to make it legible.
He emailed it to me asking if i knew how to post it...

I was able to "copy image" and paste into Paint, save as jpg...
Of course it's big, 3.2 meg

I tried a test post and the forum software re-sizes it to fit,
which is great we no longer need a IMAX screen
but it's too small to read

I tried Photobucket , it's not legible there either

Does PF have an album where we can post such things ?
The thread is
How to test a Bi-Directional Triode Thyristor

even the pdf OP linked is poor quality .

Suggestions how to give thread participants access to the improved image ?

@Tom.G You greatly improved it ... i don't know how
somebody will know what to do

old jim

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have to use an online service like photobucket.
Post a warning about the image size.

Consider if the image really needs to be so big at the outset... could the information be presented in a less bandwidth-intensive way?

Use a format that supports lossless compression for diagrams (png?)
Use a vector drawing format - these resize well.

In Paint, try clicking 'Resizing' and resize by 50% percentage. Then save the image. The size of it should be displayed at the bottom. It shouldn't affect the size of the image.

Or you could PM me and email me the PDF so I can extract the image and see what I can do?

If you draw a 1px wide line in a jpeg, paint, the reduce it to 10% ... do you still see the line?
Im guessing it may be a blur at 50%... don't know how paint handles jpegs.

Thanks Guys

i'm not very computer literate

Simon Bridge said:
If you draw a 1px wide line in a jpeg, paint, the reduce it to 10% ... do you still see the line?
Im guessing it may be a blur at 50%... don't know how paint handles jpegs.
i zoomed to 800%, drew the narrowest line selectable with pencil tool and "size", it was sill visible zoomed out to 50%

What I have noticed is I've scanned images to .jpg (and sent myself pictures from my tablet) which are around 2MB in size. I resize them by 50% and save, thus reducing the size. When I view them in Photo Gallery etc. they look exactly like they did before I reduced the size of the file.

At 50% it looked pretty good
but at even 30% it's too big to post (1180 pixels wide) and too small to read...

jim hardy said:
At 50% it looked pretty good
but at even 30% it's too big to post (1180 pixels wide) and too small to read...
Ah -- if you need it readable, it definitely needs to be larger. Was the file you sent me the original size of the image?

EDIT: unless you intended for the way it was, to be that way.

StevieTNZ said:
Was the file you sent me the original size of the image?

It's the result of opening the pdf , click "copy image", open Paint, click "Paste" the "save as ...jpg" i don't remember resizing anything - but who knows what Acrobat did to it.

I'll send the pdf too !

jim hardy said:
It's the result of opening the pdf , click "copy image", open Paint, click "Paste" the "save as ...jpg" i don't remember resizing anything - but who knows what Acrobat did to it.

I'll send the pdf too !
Yes, that'll be great! I might be able to help you further.

Sent at 7:39 US Mountain Time

I left it attached to last post in that thread as a thumbnail - that might be the answer...

I thought you might be able to post it as an attachment, using the "upload" button, then the "Insert: thumbnail" option. This image is 1920x1080. I thought I'd be able to see the original size by clicking on it. It does expand, but only up to a maximum size which is apparently 960x720.

Austin10.jpg

I made a PDF out of it. Let's see how that goes... it works but I have to download it and open it on my computer.

Attachments

• Austin.pdf
    759.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

1. How do you define a 3 meg picture?

A 3 meg picture is a digital image that has a file size of approximately 3 megabytes (3 million bytes). This measurement is often used to indicate the resolution and quality of the image.

2. What file format should be used for a 3 meg picture?

The most common file formats for a 3 meg picture are JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. These formats are widely supported and provide good image quality while keeping the file size relatively small.

3. Can a 3 meg picture be accessed on all devices?

Yes, a 3 meg picture can be accessed on most devices as long as they have enough storage space and compatible software to open the file. However, the image may appear differently depending on the device's screen size and resolution.

4. How can one make a 3 meg picture accessible for people with visual impairments?

To make a 3 meg picture accessible for people with visual impairments, the image should be accompanied by a text description or alternative text (alt text). This allows screen readers to describe the image to visually impaired individuals.

5. Are there any limitations to making a 3 meg picture accessible?

The main limitation to making a 3 meg picture accessible is the file size. Images with a larger file size may take longer to load, especially for individuals with slower internet connections. It's important to optimize the image without compromising its quality to ensure accessibility for all users.