HSO4^-1 as Arrhenius & Bronsted-Lowry Acid/Base

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arrhenius
In summary, the HSO4^-1 ion behaves as an Arrhenius acid by donating an $H^+$ ion to $H_2O$ and as a Brønsted–Lowry base by accepting an $H^+$ ion.
markosheehan
write down 2 equations to show how the HSO4^-1 ion can behave as a arrhenius acid and bronsted lowry base

i know if its a arrhenius acid it dissociates in water to produce hydrogen ions

so HSO4^-1 +h20 goes to SO4^-2 and the hydronium ion. is this right? i don't know how to show if its a bronsted lowry base

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
write down 2 equations to show how the HSO4^-1 ion can behave as a arrhenius acid and bronsted lowry base

i know if its a arrhenius acid it dissociates in water to produce hydrogen ions

so HSO4^-1 +h20 goes to SO4^-2 and the hydronium ion. is this right? i don't know how to show if its a bronsted lowry base

Hi markosheehan,

Behavior as an Arrhenius acid means it donates an $H^+$ ion to $H_2O$.
So indeed:
$$HSO_4^{-}(aq) \to SO_4^{2-}(aq) + H^+(aq)$$

Behavior as a Brønsted–Lowry base means it accepts an $H^+$ ion.
So:
$$HSO_4^{-} + H^+ \to H_2SO_4$$

What is HSO4-1?

HSO4-1 is the chemical formula for hydrogen sulfate or bisulfate ion. It is an anion that contains one hydrogen atom, one sulfur atom, and four oxygen atoms. It is a strong acid and can act as both an Arrhenius and a Bronsted-Lowry acid.

What is the Arrhenius definition of an acid?

The Arrhenius definition states that an acid is a substance that increases the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution when dissolved in water. This results in a decrease in the pH of the solution.

What is the Bronsted-Lowry definition of an acid?

The Bronsted-Lowry definition states that an acid is a substance that donates a proton (H+) to another substance in a chemical reaction. This means that an acid must have a hydrogen atom that is capable of being transferred to another substance.

How does HSO4-1 act as an Arrhenius acid?

As an Arrhenius acid, HSO4-1 will dissociate in water to form H+ and SO4-2 ions. The released H+ ions will increase the concentration of H+ in the solution, making it more acidic.

How does HSO4-1 act as a Bronsted-Lowry acid?

As a Bronsted-Lowry acid, HSO4-1 can donate a proton (H+) to another substance. This means that it can act as an acid in a chemical reaction, transferring a proton to a base and forming a conjugate base in the process.