Hydraulic Fitting - Max Temperature

In summary, the customer is looking for confirmation that a standard hydraulic fitting (#12 BPP Female Coupling) will withstand 800F when welded to 6" SHD 80 pipe on the exhaust side of a diesel engine on a cruise ship. The fitting is venting to atmosphere and there is no real pressure load. The speaker suggests checking ASME B31.3 for stress allowables for the material and considering bending moments from fluid venting. They also mention an equivalent pressure code in Europe and suggest providing ASTM material specs for further analysis. The speaker believes the fitting is similar to a 3/4 British Pipe E/E and suggests using Listed Fittings per ASME B31.3 para. 306.1.1
Ronnin
Customer of mine is wanting me to confirm that a hydraulic fitting I am selling him will withstand 800F. The fitting is a standard issue hydraulic fitting (#12 BPP Female Coupling) that will be welded to 6" SHD 80 pipe. The pipe is on the exhaust side of a diesel engine onboard a cruise ship. No real pressure to speak of because it's venting to atmosphere. I haven't had much luck finding a clear cut answer. Since I'm in bearings and PT now I don't have the same contacts I use to. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never heard of a #12 BPP, but if this is a US application, the stress allowables for the material from ASME B31.3 at the given temperature apply unless there's a specification for the fitting such as an MSS spec. Note that pressure on a vent header is just one consideration. Bending moments imposed by the venting of fluid are another consideration, so simply saying there's no pressure load is misleading.

In Europe, there's an equivalent pressure code, but I'm not familiar with it.

If this is US, provide the ASTM material spec, grade and temper and I can see what the code gives for stress allowable.

Once you have that, you can either do calculations on the wall thickness (you'll need to post a drawing) or you can derate the component by using the stress allowable at temperature divided by stress allowable at ambient times the pressure rating at ambient (assuming you have a pressure rating at ambient).

FredGarvin said:
I am use to MS and Parker fittings. Is there an equivalent Parker part number you can throw out? By your description, it sounds like a pipe coupling similar to this:

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/v/vspfiles/photos/5000-2T.jpg

Yep, 3/4 Brittish Pipe E/E. Will have to look up the Parker number, I don't remember any of the nomenclature for anything other than pipe, JIC, or OFS.

Q_Goest said:
I've never heard of a #12 BPP, but if this is a US application, the stress allowables for the material from ASME B31.3 at the given temperature apply unless there's a specification for the fitting such as an MSS spec. Note that pressure on a vent header is just one consideration. Bending moments imposed by the venting of fluid are another consideration, so simply saying there's no pressure load is misleading.

In Europe, there's an equivalent pressure code, but I'm not familiar with it.

If this is US, provide the ASTM material spec, grade and temper and I can see what the code gives for stress allowable.

Once you have that, you can either do calculations on the wall thickness (you'll need to post a drawing) or you can derate the component by using the stress allowable at temperature divided by stress allowable at ambient times the pressure rating at ambient (assuming you have a pressure rating at ambient).

I'll try to find an available drawing and post, but most of the informaiton out of the cats won't have anything besides the configuration of the adapter. I knew I should of just told this customer I don't handle anything fluid power anymore. Me and my award winning customer service.:-p

gentleman,
I am having problems to locate the standards for hydraulic piping up to 300 bars accoording to ASME B31.3.
Here on sight in Brazil the main contractor wants to use sleeves to join the pipes together and weld them as a filled weld.
can they do that and where do i find these standards in ASME.
Thanks for your help.

See ASME B31.3, para. 306.1.

"Listed Fittings" per para. 306.1.1 cover standard fittings (ex: elbows and tees) such as socket weld fittings per ASME B16.11 and buttweld fittings per ASME B16.9. These would be most like the fittings you're describing but since they meet the ASME standard, you can be sure of the pressure rating without doing calculations.

"Unlisted Fittings" per para. 306.1.2 would cover the fittings you describe that consist of a sleeve with fillet welds. If you use an unlisted fitting as you're proposing, it is incumbant on the system owner to prove the fitting meets the piping code.

Generally, I'd suggest simply butt welding pipe together as this is considered the strongest method of joining pipe.

Don't forget about radiograph and leak testing of your system.

Related to Hydraulic Fitting - Max Temperature

1. What is the maximum temperature that a hydraulic fitting can withstand?

The maximum temperature that a hydraulic fitting can withstand depends on the material it is made of and the type of fluid being used. Typically, most hydraulic fittings can withstand temperatures up to 300-400°F, but it is important to check the manufacturer's specifications for the specific fitting being used.

2. Can I use a hydraulic fitting in high temperature applications?

Yes, hydraulic fittings can be used in high temperature applications as long as the maximum temperature limit is not exceeded. It is important to choose a fitting that is made of a material that can withstand the high temperatures and to properly maintain and monitor the fitting to ensure it is not exposed to temperatures beyond its limit.

3. What happens if a hydraulic fitting is used in temperatures higher than its maximum limit?

If a hydraulic fitting is used in temperatures higher than its maximum limit, it can lead to failure or damage of the fitting. This can result in leaks, pressure loss, and potentially dangerous situations. It is important to always follow the recommended temperature limits for hydraulic fittings to ensure safe and efficient operation.

4. Are there any ways to increase the maximum temperature limit of a hydraulic fitting?

No, the maximum temperature limit of a hydraulic fitting is determined by the material it is made of and cannot be increased. Using the fitting in temperatures higher than its limit can lead to failure and should be avoided.

5. Are there any alternatives to hydraulic fittings for high temperature applications?

Yes, there are alternative fittings and components specifically designed for high temperature applications, such as high-temperature hoses and fittings made of materials like stainless steel or Teflon. It is important to consult with a hydraulic expert to determine the best solution for your specific application.

Back