Hydrocarbon enthelpy profiles

• Thread starter berndogger26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrocarbon
In summary: for your question, but i am not currently using this forum and am not familiar with any experiments involving alternative fuels. i hope that you find the information you are looking for elsewhere.
berndogger26
Hi i am a IB student currently working on my extended essay in the field of chemistry and was wondering if anyone could suggest where i could find the enthalpy profiles for specific hydrocarbons including standard enthalpy changes for fuels such as: petroleum, diesel, ethanol, methanol, bio-diesel and any other fuels that i might be able to find literature values for.

the premis of the experiment is to examine how the fuel to air mixtures affect the power of the combustions and which fuels have the most violent explosions. What i need the the enthalpy profiles for is to examine the bi-products of combusting these fuels.

If i could get any suggestions it would be much appreciated because the only values i have currently are those recorded by other students and i would like my sources to have less error in them in order to compare my results to accurate literature vales.

any help would be much appreciated,
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an excellent government reference that should get you started

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry.html

search by name and click on thermochemistry data links.As for the fuels like gasoline and diesel I was lazy and used wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

I'm not sure how reliable the sources are for the enthalpies of combustion for the fuels, but you can look up the source and determine for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help

I was just wondering if anyone currently using this forum has done any enperimenting or knows of any experiments where the emission gasses of proposed alternative fules has been studies for example CO2 levels and NOx emissions has been studied. If you have please give me the heads up on them i would find them especially useful when making conclusions to my findings.

thanks

1. What are hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles?

Hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles are graphical representations of how the enthalpy (heat content) of a hydrocarbon molecule changes as a function of its internal energy. This allows scientists to study the thermodynamic properties of hydrocarbons and understand how their structures affect their energy levels.

2. How are hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles created?

Hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles are created using computational methods such as quantum mechanics calculations or molecular dynamics simulations. These methods use mathematical models to predict the energy levels of hydrocarbons at different conformations and temperatures.

3. What information can be obtained from hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles?

Hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles provide information on the stability, reactivity, and thermodynamic properties of hydrocarbons. They can also reveal the energy barriers for chemical reactions and the relative energies of different conformations of a hydrocarbon molecule.

4. Why are hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles important?

Hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles are important for understanding the behavior of hydrocarbons in various chemical and physical processes. They are also used in the design and optimization of chemical reactions and the development of new materials with desired properties.

5. How can hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles be applied in real-world situations?

Hydrocarbon enthalpy profiles have many applications in various industries, including petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, and materials science. They can be used to predict the behavior of hydrocarbons in different environments, optimize chemical processes, and develop new materials with specific properties.