Hydrostatic and atmospheric pressure

In summary, the barometer is a tool that has been used to measure pressure since the Middle Ages. It works by measuring the change in air pressure.
Thom_Silva
So I've been wondering, 10.3 meter of water amount for one atmosphere, and according to Pascal's law pressure can compute by P=P0+ ρgh. If we have a glass with 10 cm of water inside , the pressure in the glass would be lower than atmospheric pressure and therefore when you turn the cup upside down water shouldn't fall, like when you have a straw! But in reality water does fall, what am i missing ?

thank you for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure under any depth of water is the atmospheric pressure (P0) above the water plus the rho g h from the static water pressure.

I expect that i have a vacuum in the bottom of the glass, so P0=0.

Thom_Silva said:
I expect that i have a vacuum in the bottom of the glass, so P0=0.

P0 is the pressure at the top, not at the bottom.

I'm talking when you turn the glass upside down... pressure at bottom should be 0, right? pressure at the surface should be equal to 1 atmosphere.

My question could be formulated in a different way. If we can hold 10.3 meters of water in a straw, why doesn't the same happen with the glass?

Water is a liquid and can't hold its shape well enough to stay in. Try the same with a can of jello.

Likes Thom_Silva
russ_watters said:
Water is a liquid and can't hold its shape well enough to stay in. Try the same with a can of jello.
So that is the reason...Thank you very much!. In the straw water holds because it's somehow easy for water to maintain it's structure, right ?

Thom_Silva said:
So that is the reason...Thank you very much!. In the straw water holds because it's somehow easy for water to maintain it's structure, right ?
Yes. For the small diameter of the straw, the surface tension of the water is enough to hold it's shape.

Likes Thom_Silva
firstly inverting the glass you have p atm at the open surface of the glass trying to push the liquid inwards BUT
oh man you are forgetting mg the weight of water , the pressure cannot balance that !

No, you're wrong. Pressure does balance that. That's why if you put a card on top of the glass and turn it down, the card would stuck onto the cup as well as the water . Pressure is a manifestation of the weight of a substance on other. I'm pretty sure I'm right, nevertheless it will be good if someone could back me up.

hey
the card is so light !
however we all know that water falls off the glass, so then how can you reason that ?
if i am wrong

I could be explaining in words, but this video does a better job :

i am unable to open the video link

please send the URL

Shreyas Samudra said:
please send the URL
Go to youtube search for : The history of the barometer (and how it works) - Asaf Bar-Yosef

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it. It is dependent on the density and depth of the fluid.

2. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is measured using a device called a barometer, which typically consists of a glass tube filled with mercury that is inverted into a container of mercury. The height of the mercury in the tube is then measured to determine the atmospheric pressure.

3. What is the relationship between hydrostatic pressure and depth?

The relationship between hydrostatic pressure and depth is directly proportional. This means that as depth increases, so does the hydrostatic pressure. This is due to the increase in weight of the fluid above as depth increases.

4. How does atmospheric pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above at higher altitudes, resulting in less weight pressing down and creating pressure. At sea level, the average atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi), but at the top of Mount Everest, it is only about 4.6 psi.

5. How do hydrostatic and atmospheric pressure affect objects submerged in water?

Objects submerged in water experience an increase in pressure as they descend deeper due to the increase in hydrostatic pressure. This can result in compression or deformation of the object. Atmospheric pressure also plays a role, as objects submerged in water will experience a decrease in pressure as they reach the surface due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure.