Hydrostatic equilibirum in slowly rotating star

In summary, hydrostatic equilibrium in slowly rotating stars is the state in which the inward gravitational force is balanced by the outward pressure force, resulting in a stable and spherical shape. This equilibrium is maintained by the interplay between the star's mass, density, and rotation rate. When the equilibrium is disturbed, the star may undergo changes in its structure and evolution. Understanding this equilibrium is crucial in studying the dynamics and evolution of stars.
Vrbic
Hello, in article Slowly relativistic stars by James B. Hartle (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1967ApJ...150.1005H) is equation of Newtonian hydrostatic equilibrium, eq. (5). $$const.=\int_0^p\frac{dp}{\rho}-1/2(\Omega \times r)^2+\Phi,$$ where ##p## is pressure, ##\rho## is desinty, ##\Omega## angular velocity of star and ##\Phi## is graviational potential.
How may I derive it? I can derive eq. for hydrostatic equilibrium of non rotating star, but here is in result only potetntial and it suggests some other start than I know.
My idea is that all forces have to be in equilibrium, so if I take some small piece of matter let's call it ##dm##. Than $$Fp_b-Fp_t+Fg+Fc=0,$$ where ##Fp_b## is preassure force from the bottom, ##Fp_t## is preassure force from the top of ##dm##, ##Fg## is gravitational force and ##Fc## is centrifugal force. But how to proceed further, I'm not sure.
Can anybody suggest something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
Hello, in article Slowly relativistic stars by James B. Hartle (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1967ApJ...150.1005H) is equation of Newtonian hydrostatic equilibrium, eq. (5). $$const.=\int_0^p\frac{dp}{\rho}-1/2(\Omega \times r)^2+\Phi,$$ where ##p## is pressure, ##\rho## is desinty, ##\Omega## angular velocity of star and ##\Phi## is graviational potential.
How may I derive it? I can derive eq. for hydrostatic equilibrium of non rotating star, but here is in result only potetntial and it suggests some other start than I know.
My idea is that all forces have to be in equilibrium, so if I take some small piece of matter let's call it ##dm##. Than $$Fp_b-Fp_t+Fg+Fc=0,$$ where ##Fp_b## is preassure force from the bottom, ##Fp_t## is preassure force from the top of ##dm##, ##Fg## is gravitational force and ##Fc## is centrifugal force. But how to proceed further, I'm not sure.
Can anybody suggest something?
Try comparing it with the Bernoulli equation.

Likes Vrbic
haruspex said:
Try comparing it with the Bernoulli equation.
Aha, thank you.

What is hydrostatic equilibrium in a slowly rotating star?

Hydrostatic equilibrium refers to the balance between the inward gravitational force and the outward pressure force within a star. In a slowly rotating star, this balance is maintained by the star's own gravity and the pressure generated by nuclear fusion in its core.

How does hydrostatic equilibrium affect the shape of a star?

In a slowly rotating star, the balance of forces results in a spherical shape. This is because the gravity pulling inward is equally distributed in all directions, while the pressure pushing outward is also evenly distributed.

What happens when a star's rotation speed increases?

If a star's rotation speed increases, the centrifugal force (the force pushing outward due to rotation) becomes stronger. This can disrupt the balance of forces in hydrostatic equilibrium and cause the star to bulge at its equator, creating an oblate spheroid shape.

Why is hydrostatic equilibrium important for the stability of a star?

Hydrostatic equilibrium is crucial for maintaining the stability of a star. If this balance is disturbed, the star will either collapse under its own gravity or expand until the outward pressure is strong enough to counteract gravity. Without this equilibrium, a star could not maintain its size and shape over long periods of time.

How does the concept of hydrostatic equilibrium apply to other celestial bodies?

Hydrostatic equilibrium is not unique to stars; it also applies to other celestial bodies like planets, moons, and even galaxies. In these objects, the balance of forces is maintained by different factors, such as the strength of the planet's crust or the gravitational pull of nearby objects.