Hyperreal Convergence: Is It 0 or Infinitesimal?

• I
  • Thread starter Someone2841
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, hyperreal convergence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of numbers as it approaches a limit. It allows for the inclusion of both infinite and infinitesimal values and differs from standard convergence in that the limit does not have to be a real number. It has various applications in mathematics and is related to non-standard analysis, which extends the real number system to include infinitesimal and infinite numbers.
Someone2841
I have always thought that non-constant sequences that converge toward 0 in the reals converge toward an infinitesimal in the hyperreals, but recently I have questioned my presumption. If ##(a_n)\to0## in ##R##, wouldn't the same seuqnece converge to 0 in ##*R##? These two statements should capture convergence of ##(a_n)\to 0## in the reals and hyperreals, respectively:

(i) ##\forall \epsilon \in \mathbb{R}^+ \; \exists N \in \mathbb{N} \; \forall n \in \mathbb{N} : n \geq N \implies |a_n| < \epsilon##

(ii) ##\forall \epsilon \in *\mathbb{R}^+ \; \exists N \in *\mathbb{N} \; \forall n \in *\mathbb{N} : n \geq N \implies |a_n| < \epsilon##

For example, take ##(a_n=1/n)##. Clearly this converges to 0 in the reals. Choose a ##\epsilon \in *\mathbb{R}^+##; just for fun, say it is an infinitesimal. If ##\epsilon## is infinitesimal, then ##H=1/\epsilon## is hyperfinite. Any real number x has a natural number ##\lceil x \rceil## such that ##x \leq \lceil x \rceil < x+1##, by the transfer principle there much be a hypernatural ##\lceil H \rceil## such that ##H \leq \lceil H \rceil < H+1## and ##a_{\lceil H \rceil} \leq \epsilon##. Because the sequence is strictly decreasing, this means that all terms beyond ##\lceil H \rceil## will be strictly less than ##\epsilon##, and so the sequence must to 0 and not any infinitesimal. Is this correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone2841 said:
I have always thought that non-constant sequences that converge toward 0 in the reals converge toward an infinitesimal in the hyperreals, but recently I have questioned my presumption. If ##(a_n)\to0## in ##R##, wouldn't the same seuqnece converge to 0 in ##*R##? These two statements should capture convergence of ##(a_n)\to 0## in the reals and hyperreals, respectively:

(i) ##\forall \epsilon \in \mathbb{R}^+ \; \exists N \in \mathbb{N} \; \forall n \in \mathbb{N} : n \geq N \implies |a_n| < \epsilon##

(ii) ##\forall \epsilon \in *\mathbb{R}^+ \; \exists N \in *\mathbb{N} \; \forall n \in *\mathbb{N} : n \geq N \implies |a_n| < \epsilon##

For example, take ##(a_n=1/n)##. Clearly this converges to 0 in the reals. Choose a ##\epsilon \in *\mathbb{R}^+##; just for fun, say it is an infinitesimal. If ##\epsilon## is infinitesimal, then ##H=1/\epsilon## is hyperfinite. Any real number x has a natural number ##\lceil x \rceil## such that ##x \leq \lceil x \rceil < x+1##, by the transfer principle there much be a hypernatural ##\lceil H \rceil## such that ##H \leq \lceil H \rceil < H+1## and ##a_{\lceil H \rceil} \leq \epsilon##. Because the sequence is strictly decreasing, this means that all terms beyond ##\lceil H \rceil## will be strictly less than ##\epsilon##, and so the sequence must to 0 and not any infinitesimal. Is this correct? Thanks!
Though you and I have different notations/sources on non-standard analysis I'll give what I consider the best answer from my perspective since no one else is responding. If you merely say that the sequence {an} converges to 0 in R, then it converges to 0 whether you're thinking of the usual or non-standard reals.

If you say, |ε| < 1/n for each standard n, then ε is not necessarily 0, it could be an infinitesimal. But that doesn't contradict the above.

My understanding of non-standard analysis come from the 11 simple pages of Chapters 4, 5, and 6 of Ed Nelson's hyper-beautiful book: https://web.math.princeton.edu/~nelson/books/rept.pdf.

Likes Someone2841

Yes, your reasoning is correct. The transfer principle states that any property that holds for real numbers also holds for hyperreal numbers, so if a sequence converges to 0 in the reals, it will also converge to 0 in the hyperreals. This is because the hyperreals contain all the real numbers, plus additional infinitesimal and infinite numbers, so any statement about real numbers can be extended to the hyperreals.

1. What is hyperreal convergence?

Hyperreal convergence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of numbers as it approaches a limit. It is a type of convergence that is stronger than standard convergence and can involve both infinite and infinitesimal values.

2. Is hyperreal convergence equal to 0 or infinitesimal?

The answer to this question depends on the specific sequence being considered. In some cases, the limit of the sequence may be 0, while in others it may approach an infinitesimal value. Therefore, it is not accurate to say that hyperreal convergence is always equal to 0 or infinitesimal.

3. How is hyperreal convergence different from standard convergence?

Hyperreal convergence differs from standard convergence in that it allows for the inclusion of both infinite and infinitesimal values in a sequence. This means that the limit of a hyperreal sequence does not have to be a real number, whereas the limit of a standard sequence must be a real number.

4. What are some applications of hyperreal convergence?

Hyperreal convergence has applications in various branches of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and topology. It can be used to study the convergence of sequences that involve infinite or infinitesimal values, and it has also been applied in fields such as physics and economics.

5. How is hyperreal convergence related to non-standard analysis?

Hyperreal convergence is a key concept in non-standard analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that extends the standard real number system to include infinitesimal and infinite numbers. Non-standard analysis uses hyperreal numbers to provide a more flexible and intuitive framework for studying mathematical concepts such as limits and continuity.