I am making an alien race and need help with their biology

In summary, the blood of the alien creatures is said to look like rose gold because of the presence of hemoglobin molecules that pick up oxygen and turn red. This makes the veins on their skin look blue, due to the reflection and absorption of light.
ChanYeol
I would like a reason why their blood is Cooper/ Rose gold color.
They evolve from a dinosaur bird like creature but in their current timeline they are human looking. One of their most strange characteristic is they got cooper looking veins and their blood is rose-gold color. Which gave the ancient Greeks the idea they were gods. But i would like to have a scientific reason for their blood being that color. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with "their blood chemistry makes it look gold-colored"? Your readers aren't expecting lectures on oxidation states and Lewis diagrams.

Likes stefan r, Lren Zvsm, BillTre and 1 other person
i know but if I were to make like biology book for them I kind of would like to know. I like those type of extra details. ^_^

Likes AlexB23
ChanYeol said:
if I were to make like biology book
Who wants to read a biology book?

And why do you want to write one if you don't know the content?

i am doing a full world building, all of it. I'm starting with the planet and creating a fictional history for it. Geography and everything, including the biology of the main race of thinking creatures. I want it to feel like is real.
The stories come after.

Likes AlexB23
There is a limit to what other people can help you with in this regard. Even if we give you the names of some molecules or something, doing anything interesting with the knowledge would require you understand some chemistry.

So the best thing you could do as an author is to learn about chemistry (and perhaps biology) directly. That way you will be able to write what you know, and have it interact with your world in logical and interesting ways. You won't need a PHD or anything, but a night class at your local community college could open up a world of ideas and opportunities for you. I find this stuff fascinating. Based on your ideas in your first post, I think you will too.

Likes ChanYeol
Well, it's up to you. But you've set yourself up to an endless task, one that doesn't advance your story. And besides, as Stephane Mallarme said, "To suggest is to create. To define is to kill."

Likes BillTre and ChanYeol
Gosh! This forum is just overflowing with helpfulness.

• Haha
Likes kered rettop, Grelbr42 and TeethWhitener
The way blood works is that hemoglobin molecules pick up oxygen, turn red, deliver the oxygen to the cells and back to turn blue. That's why your veins are blue. Hemoglobin has an atom of iron at the center which binds to the oxygen.

Here's a list of the colors of oxides of elements. No gold colored oxides for the elements, but you can make up some molecule with this property. With nickel maybe, or cadmium, or whatever has a name you like.

Likes AlexB23 and ChanYeol
He wants rose-gold or copper though, not just gold. Plasma without any hemoglobin is yellow, so is certain varieties of hemolymph. Certain menses can be kinda close to rose-gold, or at least a pink close to it, I think : https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324848
So you might not have to get a different biochemistry going for them altogether, just a different ratio of lymphatic fluid, plasma and hemoglobin than is typical. Some freak mutation that changed the color should be explanation enough unless you want to make the blood be adaptive. In which case being mistaken for gods, does seem adaptive.

Likes ChanYeol
Hornbein said:
The way blood works is that hemoglobin molecules pick up oxygen, turn red, deliver the oxygen to the cells and back to turn blue
Blood never turns blue in color - red, dark red, brown ( such as a blood stain ).
The veins look blue due to reflection and absorption of light of the darker red blood and of the skin.

Perhaps the OP can look at the chemical makeup of the alien skin, and/or plasma, to make the appearance gold in color.
Take for instance the color that is associated with a chunk of gold.
Gold nanoparticles do not appear in the gold color as the bulk material, but can be red, green black,...
https://nanocomposix.com/pages/gold-nanoparticles-optical-properties

Likes DaveC426913 and ChanYeol
Enigman said:
He wants rose-gold or copper though, not just gold. Plasma without any hemoglobin is yellow, so is certain varieties of hemolymph. Certain menses can be kinda close to rose-gold, or at least a pink close to it, I think : https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324848
So you might not have to get a different biochemistry going for them altogether, just a different ratio of lymphatic fluid, plasma and hemoglobin than is typical. Some freak mutation that changed the color should be explanation enough unless you want to make the blood be adaptive. In which case being mistaken for gods, does seem adaptive.
Technobabble molecules.

Likes russ_watters
ChanYeol said:
The stories come after.
Terrible idea. The story is always the most important element. Interesting technical details about history / biology / politics / etc will never make up for a bad/boring story.

Likes russ_watters
Hornbein said:
The way blood works is that hemoglobin molecules pick up oxygen, turn red, deliver the oxygen to the cells and back to turn blue. That's why your veins are blue. Hemoglobin has an atom of iron at the center which binds to the oxygen.
So if a vein is cut does one bleed blue blood?

phinds said:
Terrible idea. The story is always the most important element. Interesting technical details about history / biology / politics / etc will never make up for a bad/boring story.
I don't think it's helpful to tell someone else what their creative process should be like. If an author puts that much effort into creating a world first who are we to tell them their stories in that world would be bad? I don't think it's a terrible idea.

Likes kered rettop, Lren Zvsm, AlexB23 and 1 other person
I'm a little curious what the OP means by "gold colour". The "colour" gold is only a small portion due to its hue and a large portion due to its fluid metallic appearance.

Here's metallic copper rose gold:
1668187510056.png

But here's the straight up colour:

1668187724068.png
So, does the blood has a metallic sheen? Or is it just a pinky brown?

Attachments

• 1668187649571.png
    1668187649571.png
    145 bytes · Views: 72
Likes Algr
bob012345 said:
If an author puts that much effort into creating a world first who are we to tell them their stories in that world would be bad? I don't think it's a terrible idea.
How many books a year do you buy that you would say have an excellent setting - at the level discussed, more or less that of a textbook - but a lousy plot? And how often after reading one do you want to buy another one?

Plot, setting, character, point of view, theme. If you have a fabulous setting and fall short on the rest, do you have something people want to buy?

Vanadium 50 said:
but a lousy plot? And how often after reading one do you want to buy another one?
I would suspect that a potentially good plot could disintegrate if the author has to make last minute changes due to someone pointing out a flaw based on how the world is. A coherent, well defined background might not be the reason you like a story, but like a good foundation, it is necessary to making a story work. For myself, I think ChanYeol is taking a reasonable approach.

Maybe their blood is just like human blood, but they have atoms of actual gold in their veins? So they leave planet, and suddenly everyone wants to kill them.

Dramatically, what is the purpose of having rose-gold colored blood? Spock's green blood was an offhand detail that was never very important.

Likes Lren Zvsm
This discussion could benefit from a look at the diversity of blood colors known in earthly animals.
Here is a link to a brief article on that.

In addition, there are different physiological conditions that can lead to color variations. There are more than just oxygenated and unoxygenated. Blood carrying carbon monoxide is a much brighter red for example.

Colors of blood vessels could be affected by the tissues between the blood and your eyes. This for example has a big impact on the perceived colors of goldfish. This results from light passing through tissues after bouncing off deeper tissue layers.

Combine all these and you could get a not unreasonable palette of not unreasonable possible colors.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Vanadium 50 said:
How many books a year do you buy that you would say have an excellent setting - at the level discussed, more or less that of a textbook - but a lousy plot? And how often after reading one do you want to buy another one?

Plot, setting, character, point of view, theme. If you have a fabulous setting and fall short on the rest, do you have something people want to buy?
These are strawman arguments. Every author has their own way. Let them. That's all I'm saying.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Algr said:
A coherent, well defined background might not be the reason you like a story, but like a good foundation, it is necessary to making a story work.
Agree. But if that were the OP's intent, I would advise he start with the science and end with the outcome, rather than trying to jam a square peg in a round hole.

If it is critical to the OP's story that blood be rose copper gold then the OP should avoid too detailed an explanation since armchair chemists will recognize it's a contrived story hack The more he explains, the more apparent the contrivance.

The OP would be better to build out the biology first, have the blood colour be a logical consequence of that, and then work the story plot around that.

To summarize. My suggestion is that the OP choose either:
- realism: go with plausible science: build the biology first (which is part of the world-building), figure out its impact on the plot
or
- drama: go with hand-waving science that gets you the plot effect you want, and don't explain the details too much.

Likes kered rettop and Lren Zvsm
I think it would be beneficial to read @ChanYeol 's profile and possibly correct some of the posts above.

bob012345 said:
The iron immediately picks up oxygen so the blood is red.

Hornbein said:

Here's a list of the colors of oxides of elements. No gold colored oxides for the elements, but you can make up some molecule with this property. With nickel maybe, or cadmium, or whatever has a name you like.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-...-4-what-color-would-their-blood-be-180978261/

Hornbein said:
bob012345 said:
The iron immediately picks up oxygen so the blood is red.
No.
Unoxygenated blood is dark red.
Oxygenated blood is bright red.

Arteries and veins are also red. The appearance of blue is an artifact of how they appear when seen through our skin, not because they are actually blue.

Likes berkeman and Lren Zvsm
DaveC426913 said:
Unoxygenated blood is dark red.
Oxygenated blood is bright red.

Arteries and veins are also red. The appearance of blue is an artifact of how they appear when seen through our skin, not because they are actually blue.
what he said (very small).jpg

Likes Lren Zvsm
ChanYeol said:
They evolve from a dinosaur bird like creature but in their current timeline they are human looking. One of their most strange characteristic is they got cooper looking veins and their blood is rose-gold color. Which gave the ancient Greeks the idea they were gods. But i would like to have a scientific reason for their blood being that color. thank you.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-...-4-what-color-would-their-blood-be-180978261/

According to the linked article, a couple of people in the past actually had golden blood.

TL;DR Summary of Article: Golden blood is Rh-null blood (lacks all 61 of the possible antigens in the Rh system) and it is very dangerous to live with it especially since very few people have it.

It is also possible to have copper based blood in the story: animals such as arthropods (Arthropoda) and molluscs (Mollusca) have copper based blood: in this case the protein molecule hemocyanin carries oxygen to cells in mammals and other animals; when the blood circulates through the animal, it is clear, but when exposed to the air it turns bluish. I know that you are asking for copper colored blood, but I think that other transition metals would also have similar properties.

If you just need gold color for religious belief then check out the rufous hummingbird and the gold beetle.

For both "god like" and insane coloring check out the cuttlefish. They have chromophores and iridiphores. Some cuttlefish hypnotize crabs with crazy iridescent light shows.

my blood is gold... rh null

They like to eat fall leaves to give their vanes that look. They think it looks cool, like tattoos. Currently, the golden-yellow of fall aspen is fashionable.
Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

ChanYeol said:
Some real creatures have a very different colour blood from ours: https://mocomi.com/what-colour-is-blood/
Notice that you only have to tweak the organic molecule a little to get completely different colours. You can be pretty vague as we definitely don't know the whole range of possible molecules.

You can change the metal too. The kid's article above mentions a creature that uses copper. But there must be dozens to choose from - practically any transition metal, for starters: cobalt, chromium, manganese, copper. And maybe uranium or vanadium. It all depends whether you need to stick to the idea of blood as primarily a way of transporting oxygen or tie your own hands by insisting that they evolved from a terrestrial dinosaur.

The further you go away from human biochemistry, the more options you have. And the less likely it is that anyone will be able to contradict you.

You can probably even get a metallic sheen too. Materials like graphite or molybdenum greases can be thinned out with oil to get beautiful streaming effects. And as for colours, you're not limited to what chemistry allows, despite the above. Butterflies - and many other organisms - produce colour through interference effects. The blood cells could do both of these if they were modified a bit. Or maybe the blood contains a different kind of cell altogether. The main thing would be to make it reasonable for such a thing to evolve.

1. What kind of environment does this alien race inhabit, and how has it shaped their biology?

The environment plays a crucial role in the biological development of any species. For an alien race, you need to consider factors like atmosphere, gravity, temperature, and the availability of resources. For instance, a high-gravity environment might lead to a stockier, stronger physique to support movement, whereas a planet with a thick, toxic atmosphere might lead to the development of advanced filtering organs or alternative breathing methods. Understanding the environment will help you create a biologically plausible alien race.

2. What do they eat and how do they obtain their food?

The diet of your alien race can significantly influence their physiology and behavior. Are they hunters, gatherers, scavengers, or producers (like plants)? For example, a carnivorous species might have sharp teeth and claws for hunting, while a species that relies on photosynthesis might have skin or outer layers that contain chlorophyll. Additionally, the method of nutrient absorption could be unique, such as absorbing energy from geological sources like certain bacteria.

3. How do they reproduce, and what is their lifecycle like?

Reproduction is a fundamental aspect of any species and can vary widely. Consider whether your aliens reproduce sexually, asexually, or through an alternative method unknown to Earthly organisms. Each method impacts social structure, population growth, and genetic diversity. The lifecycle stages (e.g., egg, larva, adult) will also affect their culture, technology, and even their architecture.

4. What are their sensory capabilities?

Understanding what senses your alien race possesses will affect how they interact with their environment and each other. Do they rely on vision, or do they have enhanced hearing or smell? Perhaps they sense electromagnetic fields or have echolocation abilities. Unique sensory capabilities can lead to unique communication methods, predator avoidance strategies, and mating behaviors, which are all essential for a well-rounded species design.

5. How do they communicate?

Communication can vary widely among different life forms. Determine if your aliens use audible sounds, visual signals, chemical signals (like pheromones), telepathy, or even physical touch. The mode of communication will influence many aspects of their culture and technology. For instance, a species that communicates through bioluminescence might have a very visually stimulating culture and technology that incorporates light signals.