I am trying to find materials to make a pulse laser for lab

In summary, the conversation is about making a pulse laser for a modern physics lab. The person is looking for advice on what type of crystal or doped glass to use, as well as where to purchase it. They mention that they want a visual laser beam and are not picky on the details. They are also seeking help on how to make the laser pulsed, rather than continuous wave. The suggested option is a Q-switched Nd:YAG laser, which can be made into a green laser with the addition of a frequency doubling crystal. The speaker advises the person to look for prices themselves.
mike232
Hello everyone,
I am working with my modern physics professor Dr. Parshar to make a pulse laser for my modern physics lab. I have to make an itemized expense report for the materials and all that. I need help figuring out what crystal or doped glass would be best to use, not super expensive, and could also use some help in where I could buy these.

I don't know if this is general physics, its optics and modern physics, but I could use some help.

Thanks guys

Science news on Phys.org
Can you please elaborate more on how your pulse laser will look like? Like how long the pulse duration, repetition rate, and wavelength will be? More importantly the first thing that will make your laser operate in pulsed regime is how you will make it pulsed, not the type of material. Gain media for laser naturally emit CW, so unless you modify something in your cavity your laser will keep operating as CW laser regardless of the type of gain medium. One of the most cost friendly pulsed laser system in my opinion is Q-switched Nd:YAG laser. Note that the name is not merely "Nd:YAG laser". I guess this link will be useful http://www.laser-gadgets.com/pulse_laser_gun.php

Ok so I'm looking to make from scratch a laser with a crystal or glass that isn't as expensive as a ruby. We are looking to produce a visual laser beam, not picky on any details other than we can see that it is working. Its a 300 level modern physics lab.

When making pulsed laser one should not consider the gain medium type and pulsing technique as separate matters. I guess for undergrad level lab, q-switched pulse will be suitable both for cost and simplicity of setup. The commonly used type of such laser is again Nd:YAG laser, but this emits at 1064 nm. If you want you can add frequency doubling crystal to make it green. As for the price you can search yourself, I have no idea about it.

1. What materials are needed to make a pulse laser for lab?

The materials needed to make a pulse laser for lab include a laser medium (e.g. crystal, gas, or semiconductor), a power supply, mirrors, lenses, a Q-switch, and a cooling system.

2. Where can I find these materials?

These materials can be found at scientific supply companies, specialized laser companies, or online retailers. It is important to make sure the materials are of high quality and suitable for the specific laser design.

3. How do I choose the right laser medium?

The choice of laser medium depends on the desired output wavelength, power, and pulse duration of the pulse laser. Different types of laser mediums have different properties and are suitable for specific applications. It is important to research and consult with experts before making a decision.

4. What is a Q-switch and why is it important?

A Q-switch is a device that can rapidly switch the laser on and off, creating short pulses of intense laser light. It is an essential component of a pulse laser as it helps to control the duration and energy of the laser pulse.

5. How do I ensure safety when working with a pulse laser?

Working with a pulse laser can be dangerous if not done properly. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, follow safety precautions, and receive proper training before using the laser. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the laser equipment to ensure safe operation.