I have interviews as a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's upcoming interviews for lab assistant and apprenticeship positions in physics labs. They are seeking sources to review lab devices before the interviews, as they may not have access to their old books or internet links. Suggestions are given to look at the online syllabus for each lab class and to familiarize oneself with motion measuring video setups and software. The speaker also mentions their background and that they have applied to positions in both a different country and the United States. Other participants offer advice and resources to prepare for the interviews, including reaching out for detailed course descriptions and looking at lab manuals from different schools. In summary, the conversation provides helpful tips and suggestions for preparing for lab assistant and apprenticeship interviews in the field
hagopbul
Hello All :

in the near future i will have few interviews as lab assistance and lab apprenticeship , mainly physics labs , do anyone have a source on lab devices to review before the interviews ? maybe i won't be able to find all my old books or internet links

Best Regards
Hagop Bulbulian

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
hagopbul said:
in the near future i will have few interviews as lab assistance and lab apprenticeship , mainly physics labs , do anyone have a source on lab devices to review before the interviews ? maybe i won't be able to find all my old books or internet links
<<Emphasis added>> "Lab devices", even with the delimiter of "mainly physics labs", is waaay too vague. Are you talking about basic instruments such as computers, voltmeters, and micrometers? Otherwise, instrumentation will vary significantly with the specific lab (e.g., materials analysis vs. particle accelerator). Please clarify your question and what your goal is.

Likes hagopbul
mainly 1st or 2nd year undergraduate physics laboratory for one interview

Can you look at the online syllabus for each of the lab classes that you would be working with? That should give you some idea of the types of experiments they do and what kind of equipment is likely involved.

Do you have experience with motion measuring video setups and software? Even cellphones can be used to track motion in ball-down-ramp and projectile motion labs.

Do you think you will be helping in electronics labs for these physics classes? If so, it would be good to find out what equipment they use (oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc.), and familiarize yourself with them (download their online manuals, for example).

hagopbul said:
Your profile is not clear on your background and current status. Did you complete a bachelor's in physics? If so, how long ago? Are you applying for a position at a university different from the one you attended?

i completed a BSc. in physics years ago maybe 2008 or 2009 i don't remember exactly (always forget this date :) ) the position is in a different university and in a different country

about why i have no idea because it is different educational system and no mention what's so ever on what lab , but i form an impression it is maybe 1st , or 2nd year lab which is more a general physics labs , but there is a lot of equipment and even huge number of setups and frankly i didnt do labs since 2016

the other lab is in the united state , i filled the papers and emailed them waiting for their response , no mention also on the labs

hagopbul said:
i completed a BSc. in physics years ago maybe 2008 or 2009 i don't remember exactly (always forget this date :) ) the position is in a different university and in a different country

about why i have no idea because it is different educational system and no mention what's so ever on what lab , but i form an impression it is maybe 1st , or 2nd year lab which is more a general physics labs , but there is a lot of equipment and even huge number of setups and frankly i didnt do labs since 2016

the other lab is in the united state , i filled the papers and emailed them waiting for their response , no mention also on the labs
In that case, if the university does not have a detailed course description on their website, I would reach out to your contact at the university and request a detailed course description in advance of your interview. If [when (I hope) :smile:] the US university responds and arranges for an interview, do the same there. Good luck!

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Aside from specifics from the universities where you have applied,
it might be a good idea to look at lab manuals from different schools
https://www.google.com/search?q=physics+lab+manual

Some are more elaborate than others, some are more hand-holding, etc...
... but you can get a sense of some common themes, as well as the variety of approaches.

Detailed "lab setups" are particular to the equipment at each place.
No one is expecting you to know how they are all set-up.
(That comes with experience.)
But it's probably more important to know how one could set it up.In particular, it might be much more important to understand:
the point of each lab (as part of a set of labs for that course),
what is being measured,
how it's being measured (and why is it measured in that way, and not some other way),
and how it's being analyzed
(taking into account
the preparation of the student
and the faculty's goal for that student's experience).

Likes berkeman
hagopbul said:
Hello All :

in the near future i will have few interviews as lab assistant and lab apprenticeship , mainly physics labs , do anyone have a source on lab devices to review before the interviews ? maybe i won't be able to find all my old books or internet links

Best Regards
Hagop Bulbulian
I was a lab assistance at my university back in the '70s and what I had to do was to do the experiments just like the students were asked to do. I believe the harder task was the grading part. Good luck.

hagopbul said:
Here are three lecture courses covering almost all undergraduate laboratory work, at least according to the syllabi in Indian universities:

Experimental Physics I

Experimental Physics II

Experimental Physics III

It's definitely too much to go through all the videos, but you can at least look through the list and see if you remember the devices, and if not, you can go through the video. (When I need to go through these videos, I generally increase the speed to 2x, otherwise they become too boring.)

Likes hagopbul

What are the responsibilities of a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship?

A physics lab assistant is responsible for assisting the lead scientist in conducting experiments, setting up lab equipment, and collecting and analyzing data. A lab apprenticeship involves hands-on training and learning under the supervision of experienced scientists to gain skills in conducting experiments and using lab equipment.

What qualifications are required for a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship?

Typically, a physics lab assistant should have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field and prior experience working in a lab setting. A lab apprenticeship may require a high school diploma or equivalent and a strong interest in pursuing a career in science.

What skills are necessary to be successful as a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship?

Some essential skills for a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, good communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team. They should also have a good understanding of scientific principles and be proficient in using lab equipment and technology.

What is the typical work environment for a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship?

A physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship typically work in a laboratory or research facility, often in a university or scientific institution. They may also work outdoors for field research. The work environment is usually fast-paced and may involve working with hazardous materials, so safety precautions must be followed at all times.

What opportunities for career advancement are available for a physics lab assistant and lab apprenticeship?

With experience, a physics lab assistant can advance to a lead scientist or research position. A lab apprenticeship can lead to full-time employment as a lab technician or assistant. There may also be opportunities for further education and specialization in a specific area of physics.