I have question about Maxwell's 2nd equation

• Thread starter yang hg
  • Start date
In summary, the 2nd Maxwell's equation states that the divergence of magnetic flux density, B, is equal to zero. It is possible for the divergence of magnetic field intensity, H, to be non-zero in anisotropic media with varying permeability. However, this does not indicate the presence of magnetic monopoles, as a monopole would be a source for B, which contradicts the 2nd Maxwell's equation. The difference between B and H lies in the presence of magnetic polarization and current, and the meaning of a non-zero divergence of H is a source of magnetization. Additionally, the use of the Laplace operator in place of the gradient operator is incorrect.
yang hg
2nd maxwell's equation is ∇⋅B = 0. Then Can ∇⋅H be non-zero? I know that there is anisotropic media regarding permeability. If ∇⋅H can be non-zero in anisotropic media, I think it show that there is magnetic monopole because I think magnetic polarization and current is same essentially. Is this idea correct? If not, teach me what is wrong. thanks in advance.^^

Physics news on Phys.org
yang hg said:
Can ∇⋅H be non-zero?
Yes. If the material is not isotropic or homogeneous.

yang hg said:
If ∇⋅H can be non-zero in anisotropic media, I think it show that there is magnetic monopole because I think magnetic polarization and current is same essentially. Is this idea correct?
No. A magnetic monopole would be a source for ##\vec B##.

Orodruin said:
No. A magnetic monopole would be a source for →BB→\vec B.
maxwell's second equation imply there is no magnetic monopole. But you tell me monopole is source for B. It is contradiction.
And I cannot understand that ∇⋅H can be non-zero. I'm confused B with H. What makes B and H have this different property? Plz help me.

yang hg said:
maxwell's second equation imply there is no magnetic monopole. But you tell me monopole is source for B. It is contradiction.
No, it is not. It is precisely the fact that there is no source on the right-hand side of ##\nabla \cdot \vec B = 0## that tells you there is no monopole. A monopole by definition would mean that the right-hand side would be non-zero.

Orodruin said:
No, it is not. It is precisely the fact that there is no source on the right-hand side of ##\nabla \cdot \vec B = 0## that tells you there is no monopole. A monopole by definition would mean that the right-hand side would be non-zero.
I get it. Then what is meaning of ∇⋅H ≠ 0? ie. if ∇⋅H = 1, what is physics meaning of 1?

That would be dimensionally inconsistent.

Since ##\vec H = \vec B/\mu_0 - \vec M##, ##\nabla \cdot \vec H = - \nabla \cdot \vec M##. The right-hand side would therefore be a source of magnetisation.

From an intuitive understanding perspective I prefer the integral form.

The way I understand gauss's law is this: (quite possible that it is wrong lol)

Integral of B over a closed surface S = 0. Ie Magnetic field lines are loops, if field leaves the surface it must come back in somewhere, then, B cannot exist without H. If considering something that is pre magnetized (as in above), then the little unpaired electrons in that magnetized material are producing the H to create B given the reluctance path of the magnetic loop (that's where load lines come in for designing with permanent magnets). Ie the M in the equation above is actually Br/u (where Br = remnant flux density).

So far as I know we have not ever identified a magnetic mono pole, so therefore integral of B or H over a closed surface = 0.

yang hg said:
2nd maxwell's equation is ∇⋅B = 0. Then Can ∇⋅H be non-zero? I know that there is anisotropic media regarding permeability. If ∇⋅H can be non-zero in anisotropic media, I think it show that there is magnetic monopole because I think magnetic polarization and current is same essentially. Is this idea correct? If not, teach me what is wrong. thanks in advance.^^

You have everything correct but need to have delta right side up ∆. I am sorry that Maxwell made an error as is should be it Laplace operator right side up. So by cubing the H you can make correct calculations. I am not trying to make this up you can try it if you like. I can only tell you what I know.

Last edited:
snowflakesarepowder said:
You have everything correct but need to have delta right side up ∆
No, this is incorrect. There is a difference between ##\nabla## and the Laplace operator ##\Delta##.

What is Maxwell's 2nd equation?

Maxwell's 2nd equation, also known as Gauss's law for magnetism, states that the magnetic field lines around a closed loop must equal the total current passing through that loop.

What is the significance of Maxwell's 2nd equation?

Maxwell's 2nd equation is significant because it provides a mathematical relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It is one of the four Maxwell's equations that form the foundation of classical electromagnetism.

What is the mathematical expression for Maxwell's 2nd equation?

The mathematical expression for Maxwell's 2nd equation is ∇ × B = μ0J, where ∇ is the gradient operator, B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and J is the current density.

How does Maxwell's 2nd equation relate to Faraday's law?

Maxwell's 2nd equation is closely related to Faraday's law, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. In fact, Faraday's law can be derived from Maxwell's 2nd equation by taking the curl of both sides.

What are some real-world applications of Maxwell's 2nd equation?

Maxwell's 2nd equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the field of magnetohydrodynamics, which studies the interaction between magnetic fields and electrically conductive fluids.