I need advice on an engineering career path

In summary,The author of the article advises young people to consider a variety of engineering disciplines as they weigh their options for a career, and suggests that Mechanical Engineering may be a good choice for someone who wants to make a career change. The article also notes that predictions like this should be taken with a grain of salt, and that a plan B should always be in place.
Avner
Hi,
I'm 23 and I go to gateway community college in new haven ct. I have been taking my core credits and it is now time to pick a degree. My original intention was to get my accounting degree (fathers choice), but I despise it. My school has a few engineering programs and I'm 95% positive that I am going to change my declared degree to engineering, but which one? They offer associates in:
Biomedical engineering
Electrical engineering
Computer engineering
Mechanical engineering
They also offer a two year transfer to university
I am gravitating towards biomedical because my school is right next to Yale hospital and I figured having the skills to repair complex medical equipment would be very valuable in my area. This is my rationale: I'm 23 and I am still delivering pizza. I need to find a way to make a livable salary asap. I can earn my associates to get an entry level tech job and if I want to, get my bachelors. Do you think biomedical engineering is a good choice? Are the other engineering options a better choice? Can I get a biomedical tech job with one of the other degrees? If I got my a.s. Biomedical eng., can I get my bachelors in another engineering discipline? All advise welcome. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You really can't go wrong with any of these degree tracks. They all offer stable, well paying employment prospects. However, if I were to choose one based upon immediate need, I would tend to agree with jedishrfu that BME is a solid choice.

That said, I advise you to consider any predictions like this with skepticism, especially over the longer term; and to have a plan B in case things don't work out. If we really knew what areas were going to be the hotspots, we could make a significant fortune. But we don't; and despite claims to the contrary, neither does anyone else.

The advice given to me many moons ago was "If you know you want to go into Engineering, but do not know WHICH Engineering, then go into Mechanical. It is the broadest of all the Engineering disciplines. From there, you can change to anything."

I did. It was. It still is. And moving onto that path was a great choice for me.

Go traveling for a year or two and learn to not put to much weight on what your parents think. Your young, the retirement age is currently approaching 70 (69), go have some fun and come back in a few years with a sense of purpose towards education.

Thanks for your responses. My next question is, if I were to get an a.s. in mechanical engineering, could I still be considered for A Biomed tech job? What jobs would I qualify for with an a.s. In mechanical engineering?

1. What engineering career options are available?

There are many different engineering career paths, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering, among others. Each path has its own specialized focus and job opportunities.

2. What skills do I need for a successful engineering career?

Some of the key skills needed for a successful engineering career include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, technical knowledge and proficiency, creativity, teamwork and communication skills, and the ability to adapt to new technologies and trends.

3. Should I pursue a bachelor's or master's degree in engineering?

It depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A bachelor's degree is typically the minimum requirement for entry-level engineering positions, while a master's degree may be necessary for more advanced roles or for specialization in a specific field of engineering. It's important to research and consider the specific requirements and opportunities in your desired engineering field.

4. What kind of work environment can I expect as an engineer?

The work environment for engineers can vary depending on the specific industry and company. Many engineers work in offices or research laboratories, while others may work on construction sites or in manufacturing plants. Some engineers may also have the opportunity to travel for work.

5. How can I find internships or job opportunities in engineering?

There are several ways to find internships or job opportunities in engineering, including networking with professionals in the field, attending career fairs and industry events, utilizing online job search engines, and reaching out to companies directly to inquire about openings. It's also helpful to join professional organizations and stay up-to-date on industry news and developments.