I need assistance with Classical Elements

In summary: In the meantime, you can simply type "Greek elemental system" at the start of your post, and students will be able to help you out with the rest.
tony419

Homework Statement

The classification of the states of matter as we now know them is a relatively recent system evolved from more ancient and holistic views. These ancient systems, many of them still very prominent today were the guides to thinking about the natural world, they were the science of the time. It is only since the Renaissance that we have separated our study of the natural world (science) from our spiritual connection to it (religion).

Choose one of the following world philosophies and explore its views about the classification of the classical elements. What does it say about the composition of our world? What are the elements of the world? What do these elements represent? What meaning did they give to these elements? How is their system different than how we classify the natural world today? (googling "natural elements in ______" is a good way to start)

Alchemy
Babylonian
Buddhism
Chinese (Wuxing)
Greek
Hinduism (Panchamahabhutas)
Taoism

Create a new thread with your findings. Try not to write it as answers to the guide questions above, but tell your classmates about the philosophy's classification of the natural world.

Your original response is graded on its use of appropriate facts as support, proper use and incorporation of scientific terminology, freedom from emotional bias, and a logical presentation. In addition to your original post, read through other student's posts and post a meaningful reply to at least one. A meaningful reply extends the comments or thoughts of the original post by asking questions, offering additional information, presenting an opposing analysis, sharing appropriate examples. In all cases use proper netiquette in your postings.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am choosing Greek. Now I have researched and i found that Greeks has 4 natural elements and that is Fire, Water, air, and earth. what I am not understanding is how to type it into a post. I have a learning disability so it is a bit harder for me to grasp concepts and word things. This is an online high school by the way so they want me to make a discussion post where the other students will comment and give their views on it.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to help not knowing how the online system works. So far you managed to post what you have found at our forum, and I see nothing wrong about your post. You definitely should add more information about how the elements interacted and combined.

What are the Classical Elements?

The Classical Elements are the four basic building blocks of the universe according to ancient Greek philosophy. They are earth, water, air, and fire.

Why are the Classical Elements important?

The Classical Elements were believed to be the fundamental components of all matter and were used to explain the natural world. They also had symbolic and philosophical meanings in ancient civilizations.

How were the Classical Elements used in science?

The Classical Elements were used in early scientific theories and concepts, such as the four humors in medicine and the four states of matter. However, they have been replaced by modern scientific understandings and are no longer used in scientific research.

What are some examples of the Classical Elements in nature?

Earth can be seen in the form of rocks, soil, and mountains. Water is found in oceans, lakes, and rivers. Air can be felt in the wind and seen through clouds. Fire is present in the form of flames, lightning, and the sun.

Do the Classical Elements have any relevance in modern times?

While the Classical Elements are no longer used in scientific research, they continue to have cultural and symbolic significance. They are often referenced in literature, art, and even in modern personality typing systems such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.