I need your help for an job interview in astrophysics

In summary: If you can't find anything I'd recommend you make a blog post outlining your ideas and research methods, and post links to it on your CV.In summary, the interviewer is looking for someone who can outline a research project on sublimation on asteroids. The candidate should research recent papers on the subject and make a blog post outlining their ideas.
ATY
Hey guys,
I'll have an interview for a PhD position on monday (they told me today) and need your advice.
They want me to outline a sheme on how I'd create an experiment about sublimation on asteroids.
The problem is, that I don't know anything about this topic. Do you have any ideas for me
or advice on where to look for usefull stuff ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ATY said:
Hey guys,
I'll have an interview for a PhD position on monday (they told me today) and need your advice.
They want me to outline a sheme on how I'd create an experiment about sublimation on asteroids.
The problem is, that I don't know anything about this topic. Do you have any ideas for me
Some care about this request for advice is needed. Anyone on the forum who can answer this question should be able to get the job instead of you.

ATY said:
Hey guys,
You should carefully consider whether you want to work for an employer who pulls a stunt such as this. A weekend's notice? Hope you don't have to travel far.

I always asked interview candidates questions they were unlikely to be able to answer. I wanted to know if they panic, wing it or come clean admit they don't know but propose a way of finding out.

I would see if you can't find/Google recent papers on the subject, especially anything by the people you are going to see. Even if you know nothing about the subject you probably know what sublimation is and could guess at the likely conditions on an asteroid.

Likes CalcNerd

1. What types of research have you conducted in the field of astrophysics?

I have conducted research on a variety of topics within astrophysics, including planetary systems, stellar evolution, and cosmology. I have also worked on projects involving data analysis and computer simulations.

2. Can you explain your experience with observational methods in astrophysics?

Throughout my career, I have utilized various observational methods such as telescopes, satellites, and ground-based instruments to collect and analyze data from distant objects in the universe. I am also familiar with data reduction and analysis techniques used in observational astrophysics.

3. How have you collaborated with others in the field of astrophysics?

I have worked with colleagues from different universities and research institutions, both nationally and internationally. We have collaborated on research projects, co-authored papers, and presented at conferences together. I believe collaboration is essential in advancing knowledge in astrophysics.

4. What skills do you possess that make you a strong candidate for this position?

I have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science, which are crucial for conducting research in astrophysics. I also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as experience with data analysis and programming languages. I am also a strong communicator and work well in a team.

5. How do you stay updated on developments and advancements in the field of astrophysics?

I regularly attend conferences and workshops, read scientific journals and publications, and follow prominent researchers and organizations in the field of astrophysics. I also participate in online forums and discussions to stay updated on the latest developments and advancements in the field.