I stumbled here pursuing my question on Solar Probe momentum dumping

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of momentum dumping and its use in NASA's Parker Solar Probe mission. The speaker expressed interest in learning more about the construction and mechanics of the probe, particularly in regards to its heat shield and gyroscopic effect. They also mentioned reaching out to Neil deGrasse Tyson for further clarification and shared additional resources on the subject.
John A Perazzo
Hello. My name is John. I have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics. I am now classified as a senior citizen. I have always been interested in science. I've been following the progress of NASA's Parker Solar Probe and in the latest blog, Geoff Brown of Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab mentioned before closing, "During the 11-day solar encounter, the spacecraft executed only one autonomous momentum dump – a procedure in which small thrusters are used to adjust the speed of Parker’s reaction wheels." He described more about the event, but it is still not clear to me what is happening.

I understand about the conservation of momentum and the gyroscopic effect. I also know that the Parker Solar Probe has to keep its heat shield pointed at the sun through perihelion. I expect to learn more about the construction of the probe in this regard.

The Google search that brought me here first pointed to Fi-reefly's question Nov 7, 2012 on this topic with the Hubble Space Telescope at Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-momentum-dumping.650462/. I expect to read more of this post today.

Thank you for your forum and invitation to join the conversation. Peace.

PS, I did tweet Neil deGrasse Tyson the question with the hashtag #askNASA, but this is Thanksgiving weekend and I do not expect an answer before December 7th.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of the Solar Probe mission?

The Solar Probe mission aims to study the Sun's outer atmosphere, also known as the corona, and its solar wind. This will help us better understand the behavior and dynamics of our closest star, as well as its effects on Earth and the rest of the solar system.

2. Why is it important to dump momentum during the Solar Probe mission?

Dumping momentum is necessary in order to maintain the spacecraft's trajectory and prevent it from drifting off course. The Solar Probe will be traveling at extremely high speeds and must make precise maneuvers to navigate through the intense solar environment.

3. How does the momentum dumping process work?

The Solar Probe uses small thrusters to expel gas in the opposite direction of its motion, effectively reducing its momentum. This process is known as reaction control and is commonly used in spacecraft to control their orientation and movement.

4. What are the challenges of momentum dumping in the solar environment?

One of the main challenges is the extreme heat and radiation near the Sun. This can affect the performance of the thrusters and make it more difficult to accurately control the spacecraft's momentum. Additionally, the intense solar winds can also impact the trajectory of the spacecraft.

5. How will the data collected from the Solar Probe mission be used?

The data collected from the Solar Probe mission will be used to advance our understanding of the Sun and its effects on Earth and the rest of the solar system. It will also help scientists develop better models and predictions for space weather, which can have significant impacts on our technology and infrastructure on Earth.

Back