I want professional feedback on my work -- Building Model Structures

In summary, The Maker is a young engineer who wants feedback on his work. He has been building things with K'NEX and popsicle sticks for a long time and wants real engineers to evaluate his potential. He is trying to improve his engineering. He has two projects that he wants feedback on. One is a wooden tower and the other is a metal ball that falls down a path. The Maker wants feedback on how to design the structures to be strong in the directions that they take forces (in compression and in tension). He wants feedback on how to brace the structure to minimize the movement as the ball bounces down the paths.
The Maker
Hello, I am The Maker.

I am here because I want professional feedback on my work. I have been building things with K'NEX and popsicle sticks since I was little and as a future engineer, I wanted real engineers to evaluate my potential. Please be honest, I am trying to improve my engineering. Please let my know what engineering category this falls under.Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

General Engineering is OK for structures, then Mechanical Engineering for moving linkages and machines. But don't worry, things can be moved if needed.

Keep this thread going, drag and drop a compact picture file of your work onto the edit window.

The Maker said:
Hello, I am The Maker.

I am here because I want professional feedback on my work. I have been building things with K'NEX and popsicle sticks since I was little and as a future engineer, I wanted real engineers to evaluate my potential. Please be honest, I am trying to improve my engineering. Please let my know what engineering category this falls under.Thank You
Welcome to the PF.

What's K'NEX? Kleenex?

How do you design the things that you build? Do you do drawings and mechanical force analysis? When you post a couple pictures, can you also post your design documents for the structures?

You can use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Reply widow to upload files from your computer to the PF thread.

Sorry about that, here are two videos of my work.

Likes berkeman
Very cool. :smile:

The wooden tower is beautiful, with a lot of artistry in it. Nice work.

On the falling metal ball structure, can you see how it moves and distorts as the ball bounces its way down the paths? That's something that you would like to figure out how to prevent. You want to design the structural members to be strong in the directions that they take forces (in compression and in tension). Can you see any ways to brace the structure better to minimize the movement as the ball bounces down the paths? :smile:

Likes Fervent Freyja
berkeman said:
Very cool. :smile:

The wooden tower is beautiful, with a lot of artistry in it. Nice work.

On the falling metal ball structure, can you see how it moves and distorts as the ball bounces its way down the paths? That's something that you would like to figure out how to prevent. You want to design the structural members to be strong in the directions that they take forces (in compression and in tension). Can you see any ways to brace the structure better to minimize the movement as the ball bounces down the paths? :smile:

Thank You,
The reason that the ball seems so unstable, is because it has not a standard K'NEX ball. It is a Fushigi Ball. I ran out of pieces to brace the structure, so that is why it is unstable. The normal K'NEX balls hardly weigh anything, but the Fushigi Ball weighs 14.4 ounces. this makes a huge difference on the structural integrity. I like using the heavier ball because it allows you to do more work on the system per run.

The Maker said:
Thank You,
The reason that the ball seems so unstable, is because it has not a standard K'NEX ball. It is a Fushigi Ball. I ran out of pieces to brace the structure, so that is why it is unstable. The normal K'NEX balls hardly weigh anything, but the Fushigi Ball weighs 14.4 ounces. this makes a huge difference on the structural integrity. I like using the heavier ball because it allows you to do more work on the system per run.
Yes, using the heavier ball is better anyway, since you want to learn more about engineering and the mechanics of structures.

I too like your stuff, and your curiosity about the engineering of structures.

The Maker said:
I ran out of pieces to brace the structure, so that is why it is unstable.

Adding more pieces is not the only way to brace things. Consider this drawing of a sailboat.

Standing-rigging3.jpg

Nor is the method of bracing the only interesting question. How is the ball's motion different with a braced or not-braced structure? Does the ball reach the bottom faster or slower?

You could also treat it as a puzzle. Holding the number of K'NEX pieces constant, how to arrange them to make the stiffest structure? That is like an engineer trying to make the best design using a fixed budget.

Would you like to learn how to calculate the stresses in different parts of your structure?

Likes Fervent Freyja and berkeman
Yes I would.

The Maker said:
Yes I would.

Good, the purpose of that question was to see what kinds of things interest you.

I don't know what school grade you are in. But I have another experiment you can try. I think you will like the following article. It should give you ideas on how to build better structures. It also introduces very interesting methods for analyzing structures mathematically. I would like to hear your reaction after you read it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss

Likes Fervent Freyja and berkeman
Sorry I took so long to reply, but I am currently reading it and will get back to you tonight or Sunday eastern time.

1. How do I find a professional to give me feedback on my work?

The best way to find a professional to give you feedback on your work is to reach out to your network of colleagues, professors, or mentors. You can also search for professionals in your field through online platforms such as LinkedIn or professional organizations. It is important to choose someone who has knowledge and experience in your specific area of work.

2. What should I include in my request for feedback?

When requesting feedback, be sure to provide a clear and concise description of your work, including your objectives and goals. It is also helpful to provide any relevant background information or context for the project. Additionally, be specific about the type of feedback you are seeking, whether it be on the content, structure, or overall effectiveness of your work.

3. How should I prepare for receiving feedback?

Before receiving feedback, it is important to be open-minded and receptive to constructive criticism. It can also be helpful to have a specific list of questions or areas for improvement in mind. It is also important to keep in mind that feedback is meant to help you improve and should not be taken personally.

4. How can I use the feedback to improve my work?

Once you have received feedback, take the time to carefully review and analyze it. Look for patterns or common suggestions that can help guide your revisions. It can also be helpful to discuss the feedback with the professional who provided it to gain a better understanding of their perspective. Finally, be sure to implement the feedback in your revisions to improve your work.

5. How do I know if the feedback I received is valuable?

The value of feedback can vary depending on the source and their expertise in your specific area of work. However, if the feedback is specific, actionable, and aligns with your goals, it can be considered valuable. It is also important to consider the credibility and experience of the professional providing the feedback. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which feedback is most valuable for your work.