I Wish to Give Away a Textbook Set on The Calculus

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I have a two volume set of Differential and Integral Calculus textbooks by a well-known mathematician, his second edition (1959 printing) the last of twenty printings. This set was recommended by one of my math professors. Although it was my intention to read them it was not to be. Below is a quote from the preface to give a flavor of his approach which seems to contrast to his mentor's.

My aim is to exhibit the close connexion between analysis and the applications and, without loss of rigour and precision, to give due credit to intuition as the source of mathematical truth. The presentation of analysis as a closed system of truths without reference to their origin and purpose has, it is true, an esthetic charm and satisfies a deep philosophical need. But the attitude of those who consider analysis solely as an abstractly logical, introverted science is not only highly unsuitable for beginners but endangers the future of the subject; for to pursue mathematical analysis while at the same time turning one's back on the applications and on intuition is to condemn it to hopeless atrophy. To me it seems extremely important that the student be warned from the very beginning against a smug and presumptuous purism; this is not the least of my purpose in writing this book."

"The book is intended for anyone who, having passed through an ordinary course of school mathematics, wishes to apply himself to the study of mathematics or its applications to science and engineering, no matter whether he is a student of a university or technical college, a teacher, or an engineer. I do not promise to save the reader the trouble of thinking but I do seek to lead the way straight to useful knowledge, and aim at making the subject easier to grasp, not only by giving proofs step by step, but also by throwing light on the interconnexions and purposes of the whole."
The books are in good condition considering their age. I wish to give them away to someone who can use them and will appreciate them. Those who wish to have this set should PM me with the name of the author. If more than one person provides the correct name I will randomly draw a name from those respondents. I will post the name of the winner.

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
This set broke tradition by not treating differential and integral calculus separately. Additionally, chapters have appendices that contain the more rigorous aspects of the development of the chapter in deference to those who want to learn calculus for its applications. Together the texts provide almost 1200 pages of subject development and examples.

I wish to repeat your professor's recommendation to you to keep and read these books yourself. Remember, it is not necessary to read all of a set of books from end to end, it is very beneficial even just to read a few pages. E.g. pick one topic, such as infinite series, and read a few pages of any one of the first several chapter sections. You will be glad you did.

Likes DeBangis21
I appreciate your sentiment, but I am a bit beyond the need or desire to learn more calculus. I am downsizing and am lucky to have remembered that I have these books.:smile: Some books one might toss without a thought, but not these.

Although they are written in an austere style compared to today's glitzy texts, they may not be as inviting to read. However, one finds that older texts often contain insights that have been lost through the passage of time. Teachers may find value in them to augment their presentations.

Recently, I had to send a box of vintage books to my son from NY to Oregon. Pricing it at UPS, it would cost $100 to ship the box but pricing it at the USPS using media mail (only to be used for books and other media (check the USPS site)) it cost $25-$30 for a 12x12x13 small moving box from Home Depot.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and gleem
Differential and Integral Calculus by Courant.

Likes dextercioby
Have you considered donating it to your local public or university library?

Likes berkeman
My local library does not seem to carry textbooks. Because it is written in the style prevalent in the first half of the twentieth century I believe most students would not be inclined to use it.

It is more complete than the usual first calculus text for it includes sections on Fourier series, complex variables, and the calculus of variation.

gleem said:
My local library does not seem to carry textbooks.
True here too. My local state university library will not, in general, accept any books (other than "rare or unusual manuscripts"). My local community college library will accept some books, but "older editions are subject to 'weeding'."

I think @gleem 's original plan is a good one :wink:.

apostolosdt, post #6, is of course correct about these famous books. congratulations!

Likes apostolosdt
gmax137 has received the 2-vol set of Differential and Integral Calculus by R. Courant.:partytime:

Likes apostolosdt, PhDeezNutz, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Thanks to @gleem . Already reading the first few chapters, the approach is very inviting, surprising to me, considering this was written in the 1930s.

Likes mathwonk and berkeman
This was the recommended text at Harvard, in 1960 for math 11, the elite honors course that today, at schools where it is still offered, like UGa or Chicago, would often use a book like Spivak's Calculus. Having read both, and knowing Spivak's background as a Harvard undergrad, it seemed likely to me that Spivak had learned from Courant, and was rewriting it in a more lively style. I kept and consulted my copies for some 50 years, and donated them only after receiving another set as a gift, which I still have. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Likes dextercioby
It's unfortunate that both volumes of Apostol are so expensive, around $275 Cdn. I've perused through Spivak, Courant, and Apostol, and find the latter to have the best exposition. Just my personal opinion as someone who was never good at pure math.

@Mondayman. You have very good taste. I owned them all for many years. My favorite is probably Courant, for its charm, insight, and my personal history with it. In one sense I quite agree with you. I would say Apostol is the most scholarly, but also the most dry, and Spivak is the most fun, making it easier for some students to actually read. So which is best for a particular student I think depends on the student.

Here is a used copy of a legally available (not international edition) of Apostol vol. 1, which ships from Ohio to Canada for about $70. (As you know, cheap international editions are apparently not legally available to residents of Canada.)

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31775737124&searchurl=xpod=off&bi=0&ds=30&bx=off&spo=30&sortby=17&p=2&an=apostol%2C+Tom&sp=1&recentlyadded=all&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp2-_-title6

If you are interested, you might consider, as an alternative to the less available vol. 2, a copy of his earlier book on advanced calculus/mathematical analysis: here offered (used VG) from UK to Canada for about $85:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31766359659&searchurl=xpod=off&bi=0&ds=30&bx=off&spo=60&sortby=17&p=3&an=apostol%2C+Tom&sp=1&recentlyadded=all&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp3-_-title7

Here is a used copy of vol.2, listed for $65, but with another $60 added for shipping to Canada, and from a seller reviewed as only perhaps 70% likely to complete the sale. The book condition however is carefully described, a good sign in my opinion.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31775677864&searchurl=xpod=off&bi=0&ds=30&bx=off&spo=30&sortby=17&p=2&an=apostol%2C+Tom&sp=1&recentlyadded=all&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp2-_-title16

Last edited:
I actually found Spivak the harder of the three to read. To me, Courant, Apostol, Spivak in terms of readability for me.

that is interesting. usually the main thing I have heard people say they found difficult in spivak, is the problems.

Last edited:
As I so often do, I suggest that if you have access to a library or bookstore with Math, Physics sections, drop by and spend an afternoon going through several books, get a feel for which would be the best fit for you.

Likes MatinSAR and mathwonk