Identify the 2 metal cations through reactions

In summary, a coloured solution containing two metal ions was treated with excess cold sodium hydroxide solution. This resulted in a whitish solid, slowly changing to brown, being retained on the filter paper and a colourless solution being collected as the filtrate. Dropwise addition of hydrochloric acid to the filtrate produced a white precipitate which dissolved in excess acid. Treatment of the residue from the filter paper with a solution of a strong oxidiser produced a reddish-violet solution. Based on this experiment, it can be concluded that the pairs of ions which on testing leads to the observed changes are Zn2+ and Mn2+ ions.
TT0

Homework Statement

A coloured solution, known to contain two metal ions, was treated with excess cold sodium hydroxide solution. When filtered a whitish solid, slowly changing to brown, was retained on the filter paper and a colourless solution collected as the filtrate. Dropwise addition of hydrochloric acid to the filtrate produced a white precipitate which dissolved in excess acid. Treatment of the residue from the filter paper with a solution of a strong oxidiser produced a reddish-violet solution.

Indicate any pairs of ions which on testing as above leads to the observed changes.
  1. A Zn2+ and Mn2+ ions
  2. B Mg2+ and Zn2+ ions
  3. C Mn2+ and Mg2+ ions
  4. D Fe2+ and Zn2+ ions
  5. E Mn2+ and Fe2+ ions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

"Treatment of the residue from the filter paper with a solution of a strong oxidiser produced a reddish-violet solution." I am pretty sure this indicates Mn2+ is present as I think it turns purple. This cancels out B and D. This means that the second cation when treated with excess NaOH becomes a whitish solid, slowly changing to brown. I think this is Fe as when exposed to air it rusts and turns brown. I am pretty sure this logic is wrong though. Could someone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please reread the experiment description, as you are ignoring a very important part of the information given (plus, you are confused about which cation changes color during the experiment).

Sadly, the description is not clear and I see two fitting answers. Matter of difference between reddish-violet and purple-violet solution.

200px-Ferrate_and_permanganate_solution.jpg

Likes TT0
I think the information I am ignoring is that "a colourless solution collected as the filtrate". This probably means that the cation left in the filtrate is not a transition metal as I think they generally don't give colourless solutions. There are 4 cations that they give us: Zn2+, Mn2+, Mg2+, Fe2+. So I guess Mg2+ is the second cation.

Since excess NaOH is added in the first step, that means a zinc precipitate won't form so this leaves us with Fe2+ and Mg2+ as the first cation. Since the whitish solid turns brown, I am guessing it is Fe2+ as when iron oxidises, it rusts which is brown. There is no Fe2+ and Mg2+ option though so I guess I am wrong. This leaves us with Mn2+ and Mg2+ which is option C. Is this correct? If it is, could you give me your thought process as my logic seems terrible.

Cheers!

Think about the filtrate: why on addition of an acid does the white precipitate appear first, then disappears?

Likes TT0
The filtrate contains the metal cation, hydroxide anions, and sodium cations. When a bit of HCl is added, I can't see any combination that will precipitate other than the metal hydroxide. However, the metal hydroxide is clearly soluble as it was part of the filtrate. That means when HCl is added the metal hydroxide becomes insoluble probably because of solubility products. I have no clue though. I have tried googling but can't find anything relevant. Could you please explain this to me?

Again, you are forgetting amphotericity.

Likes TT0
I have googled about amphotericity. From the knowledge that the most common hydroxides that are amphoteric are zinc and aluminium hydroxide. So I guess the reaction before the addition of HCl, after addition of a bit of HCl and after addition of HCl is:

Before HCl: Zn2+ + 4OH- ↔ Zn(OH)42-
After dropwise HCl: Zn(OH)42- + 2H+ ↔ Zn(OH)2 + 2HCl2O
After excess HCl: Zn(OH)2 + 2H+ ↔ Zn2+ + 2HCl2O

Is this the correct reaction equations?

Since first cation is Mn2+ and second is Zn2+ is A the answer?

Thanks a lot!

1. How do you identify metal cations through reactions?

To identify metal cations through reactions, you can perform a series of tests such as flame tests, precipitation reactions, and complex formation reactions. These tests can help determine the presence of specific metal ions in a solution.

2. What is a flame test and how does it identify metal cations?

A flame test is a simple experiment in which a small amount of a sample is heated in a flame. The color of the flame can indicate the presence of certain metal ions. Each metal ion produces a unique color in the flame, allowing for identification and differentiation of cations.

3. Can precipitation reactions be used to identify metal cations?

Yes, precipitation reactions can be used to identify metal cations. By adding a specific reagent to a solution containing metal ions, a precipitate may form. The color, solubility, and other properties of the precipitate can help identify the metal cation present in the solution.

4. What are complex formation reactions and how do they aid in identifying metal cations?

Complex formation reactions involve the formation of a complex ion when a metal ion reacts with a ligand. The properties of the resulting complex can be used to identify the metal cation. For example, the color and solubility of the complex can provide valuable information.

5. Are there any limitations to using reactions to identify metal cations?

Yes, there are limitations to using reactions to identify metal cations. Some reactions may not be specific enough to distinguish between similar metal ions. Additionally, the presence of interfering substances in the solution can affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to carefully consider all factors and use multiple tests for a more reliable identification of metal cations.