Identify this old film sampling in this song

In summary, the song "Against the Grain" by Hudson and Troop samples a Sci-fi Disney show from the 1970s and it is driving the person who reviewed the song crazy because they cannot identify which show it is from. The song is available on Spotify.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I really like this song by Hudson and Troop called Against the Grain, but it's driving me crazy. Here it is on Spotify.

It seems to sample what sounds a whole lot to me like a Sci-fi Disney show from the 70s - you know, like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes kind of thing.

But try as I might, I cannot identify what film it might be.

Here are the quotes/samples, which are interspersed among the verses, but to really get a feel for why I think it's Disney-com, listen to the track. You can almost picture which 70s actors they are.

Woman: What was all this mumbo jumbo business?
Computer: Two and two are four.
Scientist: I really think that computer in there ... It's just got to be drunk!
Dean: Today seems a ... clutter of confusion.
Scientist: Makes you want to cover(?) your face—
Dean: —and bury our head like an ostrich.
Major: There's no doubt about it! And that punch(?) of his proves it!
Computer: Four and four are eight.
Major: But he's talking about the greatest brain ever made by man!

Help save my sanity!

Science news on Phys.org
"Start listening with a free Spotify account."
I do not want a Spotify account. I do not want a free Spotify account.
Someone wanting to hear the "Against the Grain" song should find a different site or source, unless he has a Spotify account or feels like creating a "free" account.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
The first link in the OP is to the song on Youtube:

Thanks for the post #3. I also found the song using a search on YouTube. I do not recognize it nor the broadcast program or movie it was used in.

Some of the quotes are found by Google in the transcript of this old film on YouTube:
Cosmos: War of the Planets (1977)
The quotes I found include the following:
- there's no doubt about it and that punch of his proves it
- I really think that computer in there ... It's just got to be drunk!
- But he's talking about the greatest brain ever made by man!
However, other quotes do not appear within that transcript and may be from other films.

• Love
Likes berkeman and DaveC426913
That's incredible! You found it!!

Of the quotes which I didn't find in that film, I recall that two obviously appear in the chorus of the song "Inchworm" from "Hans Christian Andersen", which may be relevant:

Two and two are four
Four and four are eight
Eight and eight are sixteen
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two

Jonathan Scott said:
Of the quotes which I didn't find in that film, I recall that two obviously appear in the chorus of the song "Inchworm" from "Hans Christian Andersen", which may be relevant:

Two and two are four
Four and four are eight
Eight and eight are sixteen
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two
Yes, that connection is pretty apparent, although it's spoken in the song.

What is film sampling?

Film sampling is the process of taking a portion of audio from a film and using it in a musical composition. This can range from a short sound effect to a longer segment of dialogue or music.

Why do musicians use film sampling in their songs?

Musicians use film sampling as a way to add unique and interesting elements to their songs. It can also be used to pay homage to a particular film or create a certain mood or atmosphere in the music.

Is film sampling legal?

Film sampling can be a legal gray area. In some cases, musicians may need to obtain permission from the film's copyright holder to use the sample. However, there are also instances where the use of film samples falls under fair use laws.

How can I identify a film sample in a song?

Identifying a film sample in a song can be challenging, especially if the sample has been heavily manipulated. However, listening closely to the lyrics or any recognizable dialogue or music can help pinpoint the source. Online databases and forums can also be helpful in identifying film samples.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding film sampling?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding film sampling, particularly when it comes to copyright infringement. It is important for musicians to obtain permission or properly credit the source of the sample to avoid legal issues. Additionally, some may argue that using film samples can be seen as a form of cultural appropriation if not done respectfully.