Identifying Hydrocarbon X: A Homework Challenge

In summary, CH4 is converted to CO2 and H2O using the following equation:Combustion of hydrocarbon X in excess oxygen produces 0.66g of carbon dioxide, and 0.27 g of water. At room tempertaure and pressure, X is a gas with density 1.75gdm^-3.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

Combustion of hydrocarbon X in excess oxygen produces 0.66g of carbon dioxide, and 0.27 g of water. At room tempertaure and pressure , X is a gas with density 1.75gdm^-3 . What could the molecular of X be?
What is the ans ? i only managed to get the empirical formula is CH2 ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried pV = nRT , but i still doesn't get the ans . (1.01x10^3)(24000)= (1.75/MRR)(8.31)(273+27), the ans i found is MRR= 1.79x10^-4..
But tha ans is C4H8

Physics news on Phys.org
24000 - units? R - units?

Likes desmond iking
Borek said:
24000m^3 R = 8.3145 J/mol·K , which part i did wrongly?

What is the volume of 1 mole of gas at STP?

Borek said:
What is the volume of 1 mole of gas at STP?
24000m^3

No, please check.

Borek said:
No, please check.
22400m^3 ?

Stop guessing, CHECK. Google is your friend.

Likes desmond iking
Borek said:
Stop guessing, CHECK. Google is your friend.
Ya , I checked it. 22400m cube

No, this is still wrong. You are simply not paying attention, as you are repeating the same trivial mistake over and over again.

I gave you an important hint in my very first post in this thread.

Borek said:
No, this is still wrong. You are simply not paying attention, as you are repeating the same trivial mistake over and over again.

I gave you an important hint in my very first post in this thread.
22.4litre. Which is also equal to 22400m3

desmond iking said:
22.4litre.

Yes.

Which is also equal to 22400m3

No.

1 liter is about 4 cups. 22400 m3 is a volume of a bulky ten floors building.

So what is the correct one to be substituted into the equation to get the ans?

As your R uses units based on meter, volume has to be expressed in cubic meters as well. You need to convert 22.4 liters to cubic meters, just correctly.

I am not going to tell you "plug xxxx value" as this way you won't understand why it works and why what you did didn't work.

What methods of converting between units you know?

Likes desmond iking
Borek said:
well , i found the ans. thanks for pointing out my error. i 'd been thinking of this question few days...OMG! (101x10^3)(22400X10^-6)= (1.75X24/MRR)(8.31)(273+27)
So MRR = 46 , which is C3H6 . tHANKS!

1. What is hydrocarbon X?

Hydrocarbon X is a type of organic compound that contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It is commonly used as a fuel source and can be found in natural gas, petroleum, and coal.

2. How is hydrocarbon X identified?

Hydrocarbon X can be identified using various analytical techniques such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the chemical structure of hydrocarbon X and determine its properties.

3. What is the purpose of the "Identifying Hydrocarbon X: A Homework Challenge"?

The purpose of this homework challenge is to provide students with a real-life application of identifying an unknown hydrocarbon. It allows students to apply their knowledge of analytical techniques and problem-solving skills to solve a practical problem.

4. What are the potential hazards of working with hydrocarbon X?

Hydrocarbon X can be highly flammable and may pose a fire and explosion hazard. It can also be toxic if inhaled or ingested and can cause skin irritation upon contact. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective equipment and working in a well-ventilated area, should be taken when handling hydrocarbon X.

5. Can hydrocarbon X be found in nature?

Yes, hydrocarbon X can be found in nature in the form of fossil fuels such as natural gas, petroleum, and coal. These fuels are formed from the remains of plants and animals that have been buried and subjected to high pressure and temperature over millions of years.