Identifying the mistake in this reaction scheme to form 2-hydroxyisobutyramide

In summary, the steps in this reaction involve nucleophilic addition of ##CN^-##, hydrolysis of the ##CN## group, substitution of ##OH## with ##Cl##, and addition-elimination to form an amide. However, there may be issues with unwanted side reactions, such as the reaction of PCl5 with the hydroxyl group and the potential for cyanide ions to undergo an addition-elimination reaction with the acyl chloride. It is also important to note that these reactions are sequential and there should not be any leftover cyanide by the time the PCl5 step is carried out.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Determine why this sequence of steps doesn't give the product as desired!
Relevant Equations
N/A
The steps are as follows (apologies for my awful formatting, I'm not sure which Chemistry latex package there is!), $$(CH_3)_2CO \xrightarrow{HCN} (CH_3)_2C(OH)CN \xrightarrow{H_2SO_4} (CH_3)_2C(OH)COOH \xrightarrow{PCl_5} (CH_3)_2C(OH)COCl \xrightarrow{NH_3} (CH_3)_2C(OH)CONH_2$$ As far as I can tell, all of the steps seem valid. That is,
  1. Nucleophilic addition of ##CN^-##, with a ##H^+## ion also joining to the ##O^-## to form the alcohol group
  2. Hydrolysis of the ##CN## group to a ##COOH## group
  3. ##Cl## substitutes for ##OH## to produce an acyl chloride, as well as ##POCl_3## and ##HCl##
  4. Addition-elimination reaction of the acyl chloride to produce an amide
I thought it might perhaps due conditions in the first steps. The pH of the first step I think has to be around 8 so that there are sufficient ##CN^-## as well as ##HCN## molecules in solution. Though I can't think of a reason as to why that would cause a problem in the above scheme.

Any hints would be appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your reagents and see if any might generate unwanted side reactions. I don’t know if I can give you a much better hint than that without giving too much away.

Likes etotheipi
TeethWhitener said:
Look at your reagents and see if any might generate unwanted side reactions. I don’t know if I can give you a much better hint than that without giving too much away.

Ah okay, I can think of maybe two things which might cause a problem. Firstly, the ##PCl_5## might also react with the hydroxyl group on the second carbon. And secondly, the cyanide ions from the first step could (I'm not sure) also undergo an addition elimination reaction with the acyl chloride to produce an acetyl cyanide.

Likes chemisttree and TeethWhitener
The lack of detail in the reaction schemes means we kind of have to guess at the intention of the question-askers, but yes, my first thought was that PCl5 will undergo a side reaction with the hydroxyl.

Likes chemisttree and etotheipi
etotheipi said:
And secondly, the cyanide ions from the first step could (I'm not sure) also undergo an addition elimination reaction with the acyl chloride to produce an acetyl cyanide.
Also, it’s important to point out that these reactions are going to be carried out sequentially, not all at once. One pot reactions are usually written using one arrow with numbered steps (sometimes no numbers if it’s truly all at once). Sequential reactions are written such that each reaction has its own arrow. What this means for your case is that there shouldn’t be any cyanide by the time you get to the PCl5 step.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
TeethWhitener said:
Also, it’s important to point out that these reactions are going to be carried out sequentially, not all at once. One pot reactions are usually written using one arrow with numbered steps. Sequential reactions are written such that each reaction has its own arrow. What this means for your case is that there shouldn’t be any cyanide by the time you get to the PCl5 step.

Right, so we essentially assume that the species written above the arrow in a sequential reaction is limiting. Or that we have some means of removing the unreacted reactants before the next step.

Also, I didn't know "one-pot" was an actual chemical term! It sounds a bit like something that would be written in a textbook for a potions class in Hogwarts...

etotheipi said:
Right, so we essentially assume that the species written above the arrow in a sequential reaction is limiting. Or that we have some means of removing the unreacted reactants before the next step.
Usually (but not always), there’s an implied workup between arrows. So for instance, if you were carrying out this reaction in practice, you’d isolate the carboxylic acid at the end of the second step before proceeding with the chlorination.

This is where a lack of detail can be frustrating or misleading. The hydrolysis of the cyanohydrin in step two is generally carried out using dilute aqueous acid (not concentrated H2SO4), and if you were to try to follow this step without workup, there’d be a ton of leftover water in your system and you’d hydrolyze all the PCl5 before you got any product whatsoever.

• Love
Likes etotheipi

1. What is the purpose of identifying a mistake in this reaction scheme?

The purpose of identifying a mistake in this reaction scheme is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the results obtained from the reaction. A mistake in the reaction scheme can lead to incorrect products being formed and can affect the interpretation of the experimental data.

2. How can a mistake in the reaction scheme affect the formation of 2-hydroxyisobutyramide?

A mistake in the reaction scheme can lead to the formation of incorrect products, which may not include 2-hydroxyisobutyramide. This can result in inaccurate data and hinder the progress of the research.

3. What are some common mistakes that can occur in a reaction scheme?

Some common mistakes that can occur in a reaction scheme include incorrect stoichiometry, incorrect reagents or reactants, incorrect reaction conditions, and incorrect order of steps in the reaction.

4. How can a scientist identify a mistake in a reaction scheme?

A scientist can identify a mistake in a reaction scheme by carefully reviewing the experimental procedure and comparing it to the expected results. They can also use analytical techniques such as NMR or mass spectrometry to confirm the products formed.

5. What steps should be taken if a mistake is identified in the reaction scheme?

If a mistake is identified in the reaction scheme, the scientist should first confirm the mistake using analytical techniques. Then, they should correct the mistake and repeat the experiment to obtain accurate results. It is important to document the mistake and the corrective actions taken for future reference.