Idiot with a Vision: Using a Diverter to Purify Plasma

In summary, this person has an idea for a device to remove impurities and alpha particles, but lacks the education to know if it is a feasible idea. They are back to the drawing board to try and find someone with more knowledge to help them out.
Andrewtv848
TL;DR Summary
Using electrostatic attraction to remove impurities and alpha particles
Let me start off with saying I am just a idiot with a high school level education (and a learning disability ).
But i have a idea of using a diverter with a plasma actuator equiped, to generate a stream of negatively charged electrons to attract spent alpha particles and impurities. Tuned to such a level thati it would leave the less electro postive hydrogen isotopes alone.

Thanks for your time
Andrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
Andrewtv848 said:
...negatively charged electrons to attract spent alpha particles...
Not my area of 'spertize but it seems to me that - considering an alpha article outmasses an electron by > 7000x - your electron stream will be the one diverted while the stream of alpha particles will plow on its merry way undisturbed.

4 hadrons : 1/1836 hadron = 7344:1

And to match the charge, you'd have to double that.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
Not my area of 'spertize but it seems to me that - considering an alpha article outmasses an electron by a factor of almost ##10^5## - your electron stream will be the one diverted while the stream of alpha particles will plow on its merry way undisturbed.

2mp + 2mn = 4
me = 1/1836

DaveC426913 said:
Not my area of 'spertize but it seems to me that - considering an alpha article outmasses an electron by > 7000x - your electron stream will be the one diverted while the stream of alpha particles will plow on its merry way undisturbed.

4 hadrons : 1/1836 hadron = 7344:1
Thanks for the reply, oh well back to the drawing board

Likes berkeman
Andrewtv848 said:
Summary: Using electrostatic attraction to remove impurities and alpha particles

Let me start off with saying I am just a idiot
You cannot think like that and expect positive results in life, there are plenty of people with just layman understanding of physics but that doesn't make them idiots nor I believe you to be an idiot. All you need is the passion to learn, then some trial and error.

PS. What are you learning / trying to achieve at the moment with regards to this question?

sorry, i have low self esteem because i have a learning disability. I definantly have a passion for learning and creating. My goal was to have someone with the physics understanding weigh in on my invention.

Andrewtv848 said:
sorry, i have low self esteem because i have a learning disability. I definantly have a passion for learning and creating. My goal was to have someone with the physics understanding weigh in on my invention.
Lack of physics education does not make you and idiot.
Having an idea, does not make you and inventor.

One thing we hear often here on PF is, "Thinking out of the box is admirable. However, you must first learn what is in the box." Physics Forums exists to help people learn what is in the box.

Andrewtv848 said:
What goal were you trying to achieve or what problem solve with that invention?

Andrewtv848 said:
Thanks for the reply, oh well back to the drawing board
Note: just because i think i found something to criticize does not mean:
1. I am right,
2. You are wrong,
3. You should give up.

1. What is a diverter and how does it purify plasma?

A diverter is a device used in fusion reactors to redirect the flow of plasma away from the walls of the reactor. This helps to prevent damage to the walls and allows for better control and confinement of the plasma. By redirecting the plasma, the diverter also helps to remove impurities from the plasma, resulting in a purer and more efficient fusion reaction.

2. How does the "Idiot with a Vision" method differ from traditional plasma purification methods?

The "Idiot with a Vision" method utilizes a diverter to purify plasma, whereas traditional methods often involve using filters or chemical processes to remove impurities. The use of a diverter allows for a more direct and efficient purification process, as it removes impurities directly from the plasma flow.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a diverter for plasma purification?

Using a diverter for plasma purification can lead to a more efficient and controlled fusion reaction, as well as a longer lifespan for the reactor walls. It also reduces the need for additional purification processes, making the overall process more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to using a diverter for plasma purification?

One potential limitation is the design and placement of the diverter, as it must be able to redirect the plasma flow effectively without causing disruptions. Another challenge is the management of the impurities that are removed by the diverter, as they must be safely disposed of to prevent contamination.

5. Has the "Idiot with a Vision" method been tested and proven to be effective?

While the exact method described as "Idiot with a Vision" may not have been tested, the use of a diverter for plasma purification has been studied and proven to be effective in various fusion reactors around the world. Further research and development are still ongoing to optimize and improve this method.