If A is an algebra, then its uniform closure is an algebra.

In summary, the uniform closure of an algebra A is also an algebra. This means that the uniform closure preserves the algebraic structure and operations of A, making it a valid algebraic object. Additionally, the uniform closure contains all the limits of sequences and convergent elements of A, making it a complete algebra. This property is important in functional analysis and other areas of mathematics.
member 587159
Let me give some context.

Let X be a compact metric space and ##C(X)## be the set of all continuous functions ##X \to \mathbb{R}##, equipped with the uniform norm, i.e. the norm defined by ##\Vert f \Vert = \sup_{x \in X} |f(x)|##

Note that this is well defined by compactness. Then, for a subset ##A \subset C(X)##, we define the uniform closure as the set ##\overline{A}## with respect to the uniform norm.

Now, in a proof I'm going through, it is claimed that if ##A## is an algebra (subvectorspace + closed under pointwise multiplication), then ##\overline{A}## is an algebra too.

I decided to prove this, and did the following:

Let ##f,g \in \overline{A}##. There are sequences of functions such that ##f_n \to f, g_n \to g## for the uniform norm. But convergence for the uniform norm is the same thing as uniform convergence of sequences of functions.

So, let ##\epsilon > 0##. Choose ##n_0## such that for all ##n \geq n_0, x \in X##, we have both

##|f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon## and ##|g_n(x) - g(x)| < \epsilon##

Then, for ##n \geq n_0, x \in X##, we have:

##|f_n(x)g_n(x) - f(x)g(x)| \leq |f_n(x)||g_n(x)-g(x)| + |f_n(x) -f(x)||g(x)| \leq \Vert f_n \Vert \epsilon + \Vert g \Vert\epsilon < M \epsilon## for some number M (because all the functions are bounded, as they are continuous.

This shows that ##f_ng_n \to fg##, and hence ##fg\in \overline{A}## as ##f_ng_n \in A## because it is an algebra.

Analoguous, we can prove that linear combinations remain in the set. Is this a correct proof?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math_QED said:
Let me give some context.

Let X be a compact metric space and ##C(X)## be the set of all continuous functions ##X \to \mathbb{R}##, equipped with the uniform norm, i.e. the norm defined by ##\Vert f \Vert = \sup_{x \in X} |f(x)|##

Note that this is well defined by compactness. Then, for a subset ##A \subset C(X)##, we define the uniform closure as the set ##\overline{A}## with respect to the uniform norm.

Now, in a proof I'm going through, it is claimed that if ##A## is an algebra (subvectorspace + closed under pointwise multiplication), then ##\overline{A}## is an algebra too.

I decided to prove this, and did the following:

Let ##f,g \in \overline{A}##. There are sequences of functions such that ##f_n \to f, g_n \to g## for the uniform norm. But convergence for the uniform norm is the same thing as uniform convergence of sequences of functions.

So, let ##\epsilon > 0##. Choose ##n_0## such that for all ##n \geq n_0, x \in X##, we have both

##|f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon## and ##|g_n(x) - g(x)| < \epsilon##

Then, for ##n \geq n_0, x \in X##, we have:

##|f_n(x)g_n(x) - f(x)g(x)| \leq |f_n(x)||g_n(x)-g(x)| + |f_n(x) -f(x)||g(x)| \leq \Vert f_n \Vert \epsilon + \Vert g \Vert < M \epsilon## for some number M (because all the functions are bounded, as they are continuous.

This shows that ##f_ng_n \to fg##, and hence ##fg\in \overline{A}## as ##f_ng_n \in A## because it is an algebra.

Analoguous, we can prove that linear combinations remain in the set. Is this a correct proof?
Except for a lost ##\varepsilon ##, yes. You basically prove ##\lim (\alpha f_n + \beta g_n) = \alpha \lim f_n + \beta \lim g_n## and ##\lim (f_n \cdot g_n) = \lim f_n \cdot \lim g_n## so the algebraic structure extends from ##A## to ##\overline{A}##.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
Except for a lost ##\varepsilon ##, yes. You basically prove ##\lim (\alpha f_n + \beta g_n) = \alpha \lim f_n + \beta \lim g_n## and ##\lim (f_n \cdot g_n) = \lim f_n \cdot \lim g_n## so the algebraic structure extends from ##A## to ##\overline{A}##.

Except for a lost epsilon?

Edit: Nevermind, found it (also edited it out). This was a typo.

Thanks a lot! I actually had a question about this proof, but while typing it out the question resolved itself. As the question was already typed, I decided that I would post it. It is good to get feedback sometimes :)

Math_QED said:
I actually had a question about this proof, but while typing it out I saw it.
That's one of the best tricks: If you want to understand something, explain it to others!

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
That's one of the best tricks: If you want to understand something, explain it to others!

Indeed, or just formulating the question in a formal way! I have had many times that even this was enough to made me realize what I was missing.

Likes fresh_42

1. What is an algebra?

An algebra is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements, operations (such as addition and multiplication), and rules for combining these elements and operations to form expressions and equations.

2. What is the uniform closure of an algebra?

The uniform closure of an algebra is the smallest algebra that contains all the elements of the original algebra and is closed under the same operations.

3. How is the uniform closure of an algebra determined?

The uniform closure of an algebra is determined by adding all possible combinations of elements and operations until no new elements are generated. This process is known as closure under operations.

4. Why is the uniform closure important in algebra?

The uniform closure is important because it ensures that the algebra remains closed under its operations, which is necessary for the algebra to maintain its structure and properties.

5. Can an algebra have multiple uniform closures?

Yes, an algebra can have multiple uniform closures depending on the operations and elements included. However, the uniform closure is unique if the operations and elements are specified.