If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you just dont

• Music
  • Thread starter tomishere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Music
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that one's appreciation for Beethoven's music may be linked to their mental capacity. The conversation also touches on Beethoven's reputation and popularity, and whether or not his music is truly as profound as it is perceived. The conversation ends with some personal opinions on Beethoven's music and its appeal.
tomishere
If I you like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just dont

just don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it yet"

EDIT: ok the title was supposed to say "If I you DONT like Beethovens music does that mean that you "just don't have the mental capacity to appreciate it yet" ?
anyway, continued...

what do you think? I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and i noticed a couple of things about beethoven:
1) beethoven first got a reputation playing in saloons. he was improvising on bach tunes. (a bar band, doing covers)
2) back then the average joe schmo had about an 8th grade education level.

3) conclusion: Beethoven hit it really big via the appraisals of a very lowbrow audience, despite the adulations he also enjoyed from nobility.

OK this is generalizing (understatement) but I just don't see how beethoven could have been as profound as popular opinion affirms?? its like the experts on beethoven intuit all this superhuman nuance in the music that really isn't even there, --only exists in the mind of the fanatical listener, no? .. Is it possible that a lot of people listen to this stuff just because other people listen to it? You know, sort of like the concept of "hype" --when a band reaches that sort of critical mass point and crowd mentality takes over and launches them into celebrity and $$ etc etc.. What do u thonk?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Beethoven wrote a wide range of music, which I could rate from ugly, boring, to absolutely all time favorites (7th and 9th symphony, violin concerto) But others may find that boring (heard too many times) and may find other works interesting and marvelous, which I consider ugly.

I don't think there is much evidence for corrolation between music appreciation and mental capacities.

As with all forms of entertainment it comes down to people's subjective values in a given context.

tomishere said:
i noticed a couple of things about beethoven:
1) beethoven first got a reputation playing in saloons. he was improvising on bach tunes. (a bar band, doing covers)
2) back then the average joe schmo had about an 8th grade education level.
3) conclusion: Beethoven hit it really big via the appraisals of a very lowbrow audience, despite the adulations he also enjoyed from nobility.

Please provide a reference for these 3 statements.

The reason that I don't like Beethoven is that it isn't Black Sabbath.

The OP's post is just nonsense, so there's no reason to keep the thread open.

1. If I like Beethoven's music, does that mean that I just don't like modern music?

No, liking Beethoven's music does not necessarily mean that you don't like modern music. People's taste in music can vary and it is possible to enjoy both classical and modern genres.

2. Does liking Beethoven's music make me a classical music snob?

No, enjoying Beethoven's music does not make you a snob. It is simply a matter of personal taste and appreciation for his work.

3. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of music to appreciate Beethoven's compositions?

No, you do not need to have a deep understanding of music to appreciate Beethoven's compositions. While some knowledge of music theory and history may enhance your appreciation, anyone can enjoy his music.

4. Can I enjoy Beethoven's music even if I am not a musician?

Yes, anyone can enjoy Beethoven's music regardless of their musical background. His compositions are meant to be enjoyed by all, not just musicians.

5. Will I only like Beethoven's music if I am a fan of classical music?

No, you do not have to be a fan of classical music to enjoy Beethoven's music. His works have influenced many different genres and his music can be appreciated by people with various musical tastes.

Back