If the charge oscillates at relativistic velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of electric and magnetic fields when a charge oscillates at different velocities. At nonrelativistic velocities, magnetic forces can be neglected since the electric and magnetic fields are equal in an electromagnetic wave. At relativistic velocities, both electric and magnetic forces must be considered as they are of similar magnitude. The explanation is based on Maxwell's equations and the use of a plane-wave ansatz.
arcTomato
Hello PF.
I'm just curious.
I found the following description in a textbook I am reading.
If the charge oscillates at nonrelativistic velocities, ##u<<c##, then we may neglect magnetic forces, since ##E = B## for an electromagnetic wave.

What I'm interested in here is what would $E$ and $B$ look like if the charge was oscillating at close to the speed of light ( means relativistic velocities) ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you are considering a charge in an external plane em. wave. The latter indeed has ##|\vec{E}|=|\vec{B}|## (when using good old Gaussian or Heaviside-Lorentz units ;-)). Now the force on the charge is given by the Lorentz formula, i.e.,
$$\vec{F}=q \left (\vec{E} + \frac{\vec{v}}{c} \times \vec{B} \right).$$
thus the force due to the magnetic field is by ##|\vec{v}/c| \ll 1## smaller for non-relativistic velocities.

For relativistic velocities you must use the relativistic equation of motion and then the electric and magnetic forces get of the same order of magnitude, because then ##|\vec{v}/c| \lesssim 1## (it's always smaller than 1 but can get close to one if ##|\vec{v}|## comes close to ##c##).

Likes arcTomato and Delta2
Sorry for the late reply.
vanhees71 said:
I guess you are considering a charge in an external plane em. wave.
I am thinking about that very situation.

I see. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
vanhees71 said:
The latter indeed has |E→|=|B→| (when using good old Gaussian or Heaviside-Lorentz units ;-)).
However, this part bothered me a little.
From which equation exactly do you get that the electric field is equal to the magnetic field?

$$\newcommand{\ii}{\mathrm{i}}$$

Just use the Maxwell equations for ##\rho=0## and ##\vec{j}=0##. Then you get (in Heaviside-Lorentz units with ##c=1##)
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\partial_t \vec{B}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\partial_t \vec{E}.$$
Taking the curl of the first equation and then the other Maxwell equations leads to
$$(\partial_t^2-\Delta) \vec{E}=0.$$
Now make the plane-wave ansatz
$$\vec{E}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{E}_0 \exp[-\ii \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}].$$
Plugging this in the wave equation yields
$$\omega=|\vec{k}|$$
From ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0## you get ##\vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}_0=0##.
Further it's clear that also
$$\vec{B}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{B}_0 \exp[-\ii \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}].$$
With Faraday's Law you get
$$\partial_t \vec{B}=-\ii \omega \vec{B}=-\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\ii \vec{k} \times \vec{E},$$
i.e.,
$$\vec{B}=\frac{\vec{k}}{\omega} \times \vec{E}.$$
Since ##\vec{k} \perp \vec{E}## you get
$$|\vec{B}|=\left |\frac{\vec{k}}{\omega} \right| |\vec{E}|=|\vec{E}|,$$
because of ##|\vec{k}|=\omega##.

Likes arcTomato
@vanhees71 Thank you for your very detailed answer.
It made a lot of sense to me. It's very helpful.

1. What is a relativistic velocity?

A relativistic velocity is a velocity that is close to the speed of light. In the context of special relativity, this means a velocity that is greater than about 0.1% of the speed of light.

2. How does charge oscillate at relativistic velocities?

When a charged particle moves at relativistic velocities, its electric field and magnetic field also change. This causes the charge to oscillate, or vibrate, at a specific frequency.

3. What are the effects of charge oscillation at relativistic velocities?

The effects of charge oscillation at relativistic velocities can include the emission of electromagnetic radiation, such as light or radio waves, and the production of high-energy particles.

4. Can charge oscillation at relativistic velocities be observed?

Yes, charge oscillation at relativistic velocities can be observed through experiments and observations of high-energy particles and electromagnetic radiation, such as in particle accelerators or astrophysical phenomena.

5. How does special relativity affect charge oscillation?

Special relativity predicts the behavior of charge oscillation at relativistic velocities, including the frequency and intensity of the emitted electromagnetic radiation. It also explains the observed effects of charge oscillation, such as time dilation and length contraction.