If two functions are homotopic must their mapping cylinders be also?

In summary, homotopy between functions can be visualized by looking at their mapping cylinders, and showing that the mapping cylinders are homotopic implies that the functions themselves are homotopic. Some helpful resources for understanding homotopy between functions include the homotopy extension property and the book "Algebraic Topology" by Allen Hatcher. Additionally, studying related topics such as homology, cohomology, and homotopy groups can also enhance your understanding of homotopy.
dumbQuestion
Hey I feel like I understand the concept of two spaces being homotopic and I can "visualize" the concept because I think of one space kind of continuously morphing into the other. But when it comes to thinking of homotopy between functions, I have a harder time. I was trying to think of a way to visualize things and the way I know to visualize a function is by looking at its mapping cylinder. So I was wondering, is it the case that if we can show the mapping cylinders of two functions are homotopic, that the functions themselves are homotopic?

Does anyone have any good resources on things I can read that will help me understand homotopy between functions a little more intuitively? Or to understand the "link" between spaces being homotopic and functions being homotopic

(I know the definitions, but I guess I just have a hard time visualizing functions being homotopic :( )

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, showing that two functions' mapping cylinders are homotopic does imply that the functions themselves are homotopic. That is because the mapping cylinder captures the behavior of the function in a way that is easy to visualize and reason about. As for resources, you might find it helpful to read up on the homotopy extension property. That property states that if two spaces, X and Y, are homotopic, then for any space Z, any continuous map f : X → Z can be extended to a continuous map F : Y → Z. This gives us a way to interpret homotopy between two functions as an extension problem. Another good resource is the book "Algebraic Topology" by Allen Hatcher. Hatcher gives a very detailed overview of homotopy theory, including homotopy between functions. He also includes many examples and exercises that may help you gain more insight into the subject. Finally, you can also learn more about homotopy by studying related topics such as homology, cohomology, and homotopy groups. These topics are all closely related and they can give you a better understanding of how homotopy works.

1. What is homotopy?

Homotopy is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous transformation between two functions or objects. In other words, two objects are homotopic if one can be continuously deformed into the other without tearing or gluing any part of it.

2. What is a mapping cylinder?

A mapping cylinder is a topological space that is constructed from a given function. It is formed by taking the Cartesian product of the function and the unit interval, and then identifying the ends of the product in a specific way.

3. How do you determine if two functions are homotopic?

To determine if two functions are homotopic, you can use the concept of a homotopy. If there exists a continuous transformation between the two functions, then they are homotopic. This can be visualized as one function being able to be continuously deformed into the other.

4. What is the significance of mapping cylinders in homotopy theory?

Mapping cylinders are important in homotopy theory because they allow us to study the properties of a given function by looking at its mapping cylinder. They also provide a way to compare and classify different functions by examining their mapping cylinders.

5. Can two functions with different mapping cylinders be homotopic?

No, two functions with different mapping cylinders cannot be homotopic. This is because the mapping cylinder is a topological invariant, meaning it does not change under continuous transformations. Therefore, if two functions have different mapping cylinders, they cannot be continuously deformed into each other and are not homotopic.