If $x^{3/2}+y^{3/2}=r^{3/2}$, then $u=r$ and $v=r-x$.

In summary: Yes.Now suppose we have a point (x,y) inside D with, say, an $r$ such that $x^{3/2}+y^{3/2}=r^{3/2}$ and $0\le r \le \alpha$,$u=x^{3/2}+y^{3/2}$ and $v=r^{3/2}$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $D$ be the space in the first quadrant of the $xy$-plane that is defined by the inequality $x^{\frac{3}{2}}+y^{\frac{3}{2}} \leq \alpha^{\frac{3}{2}}$ with $\alpha>0$. I want to transform $\iint_D f(x,y) dx dy$ to an integral on the triangle $E$ of the $uv$-plane that is defined by the inequalities $0 \leq u \leq \alpha$ and $0 \leq v \leq \alpha-u$.
Which new variables do we define here? (Wondering) Do we maybe define the following variables?
$$u=\left (x^{\frac{3}{2}}+y^{\frac{3}{2}}\right )^{\frac{2}{3}}$$ Then we would get $0\leq \left (x^{\frac{3}{2}}+y^{\frac{3}{2}}\right )^{\frac{2}{3}}\leq \left (a^{\frac{3}{2}}\right )^{\frac{2}{3}} \Rightarrow 0\leq u\leq a$.

But what about $v$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari! (Smile)

What does the region look like?
Can we draw it?
Perhaps we can see then how best to transform it into a triangle. (Thinking)

You current idea for u corresponds more or less with a polar length, which would suggest that v could be an angle. That may not be the most natural fit though, and seems unlikely to lead to an upper bound of $\alpha -u$. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
What does the region look like?
Can we draw it?
Perhaps we can see then how best to transform it into a triangle. (Thinking)

The region is in the following form:

[DESMOS=-5,5,-5,5]x^{\frac{3}{2}}+y^{\frac{3}{2}}\le a^{\frac{3}{2}};a=2[/DESMOS] Do we not have to change only the curve that goes through the points $(0,2)$ and $(2,0)$ to get a triangle? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
The region is in the following form:

Do we not have to change only the curve that goes through the points $(0,2)$ and $(2,0)$ to get a triangle?

Indeed. Hmmm, could we for instance define $u=x$, and try to find a $v$ such that the curve becomes a straight line? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Indeed. Hmmm, could we for instance define $u=x$, and try to find a $v$ such that the curve becomes a straight line? (Wondering)

Does the curve has to become a straight line that passes through the points $(2,0)$ and $(0,2)$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Does the curve has to become a straight line that passes through the points $(2,0)$ and $(0,2)$?
That is what I would propose we try.
But there is no 'have to' to it.

I like Serena said:
That is what I would propose we try.
But there is no 'have to' to it.

So, does it holds that $v=-u+2$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, does it holds that $v=-u+2$ ? (Wondering)
That only holds on 1 of the 3 bounding curves (assuming we have $\alpha=2$).
But we can start with that bounding curve, and then try to generalize. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
That only holds on 1 of the 3 bounding curves (assuming we have $\alpha=2$).
But we can start with that bounding curve, and then try to generalize. (Thinking)

Will the triangle be bounded by the lines $v=-x+a$, $u=0$, $v=0$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Will the triangle be bounded by the lines $v=-x+a$, $u=0$, $v=0$ ? (Wondering)

Yes.
Now suppose we have a point (x,y) inside D with, say, an $r$ such that $x^{3/2}+y^{3/2}=r^{3/2}$ and $0\le r \le \alpha$,
What would $u$ and $v$ be then in terms of $x$ and $y$? (Wondering)

1. What is a change of variables in mathematics?

A change of variables, also known as a variable substitution, is a mathematical technique used to simplify a problem by replacing one set of variables with another set of variables. This can make the problem easier to solve or allow for different approaches to finding a solution.

2. When is a change of variables used in mathematics?

A change of variables is often used in integration, particularly in solving integrals involving trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions. It is also used in solving differential equations and in optimization problems.

3. How do you perform a change of variables?

The process of performing a change of variables involves substituting new variables for the original variables in the given problem. These new variables are chosen to simplify the problem, often by making it easier to integrate or differentiate. The substituted variables are then solved for in terms of the original variables to obtain the new expression for the problem.

4. What are the benefits of using a change of variables?

Using a change of variables can make a problem more manageable and easier to solve. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between variables that may not have been apparent before the substitution. In some cases, a change of variables can also lead to a more elegant and concise solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables?

While a change of variables can be a powerful tool in mathematics, it is not always applicable or necessary. In some cases, the substitution may make the problem more complex or difficult to solve. Additionally, the chosen variables must be carefully selected to avoid introducing errors or creating a more complicated problem.