If y=sin5 + log base 10 x+ 2 sec x find dy/dx

• MHB
  • Thread starter rahulk1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Log
In summary, the function y=\sin(5)+\log(x)+2\sec(x) can be differentiated using the following rules:y=\sin(5)+\log(x)+2\sec(x)dy/dx= cos5 + 1/(log 5)x+ 2 sec x tanx
rahulk1
If y=sin5 + log base 10 x + 2 sec x find dy/dx

Please solve the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, rahulk! (Wave)

We are not a "drop off your homework so we can do it for you" site. What good would that do for you, to have someone else do your work for you?

Our goal is to help you solve the problems, for you to be involved, so you actually learn something. In order to help you, we need to know what you've tried and where your are stuck. Please show some effort when posting problems.

Where did you get stuck with this problem?

No this is not my homework I don't know what is the formula to solving the problem

Okay, well let's see if you understand the rules of differentiation that you will need for this problem. Suppose we have:

\(\displaystyle y=f(x)+g(x)\)

What is \(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}\)?

I don't know because I am very week in mathematics

Differentiation is linear, that is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x)+g(x)\right)=\frac{d}{dx}f(x)+\frac{d}{dx}g(x)\)

This means that is a function is composed of two or more summands, we may differentate the function by differentiating each summand in turn. For example, if:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4\)

then:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=0+1+2x+3x^2+4x^3\)

So, let's look at the function you gave:

\(\displaystyle y=\sin(5)+\log(x)+2\sec(x)\)

The first term is $\sin(5)$...how would you go about differentiating that?

if y = sin5 + log base10 X +2 sec x find dy/dx

Answer

dy/dx= cos5 + 1/(log 5)x+ 2 sec x tanxIs it true answer

Re: if y = sin5 + log base10 X +2 sec x find dy/dx

rahulk said:

Answer

dy/dx= cos5 + 1/(log 5)x+ 2 sec x tanxIs it true answer

As I said before, please post calculus questions in our "Calculus" forum, and please don't begin a new thread for the same question. I have moved and merged accordingly.

Now, let's look at each term of the given function:

\(\displaystyle y=\sin(5)+\log(x)+2\sec(x)\)

The first term is $\sin(5)$, and this is a constant, in that it does not depend on the independent variable $x$, and so its derivative is zero. For the second term, let's write:

\(\displaystyle u=\log(x)\)

Using the change of base formula, we may write:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{\ln(x)}{\ln(10)}\)

Hence, using the rule for differentiating the natural log function, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \d{u}{x}=\frac{1}{x\ln(10)}\)

For the third term, let's write:

\(\displaystyle u=2\sec(x)=\frac{2}{\cos(x)}\)

Using the quotient rule, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \d{u}{x}=\frac{\cos(x)(0)-2(-\sin(x))}{\cos^2(x)}=2\sec(x)\tan(x)\)

So, putting it all together, we have:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=\frac{1}{x\ln(10)}+2\sec(x)\tan(x)\)

1. What is the equation for y in terms of x?

The equation for y in terms of x is y = sin5 + log base 10 x + 2 sec x. This equation is a combination of trigonometric, logarithmic, and inverse trigonometric functions.

2. What is the meaning of dy/dx in this equation?

dy/dx represents the derivative of y with respect to x. It shows the rate of change of y with respect to x at any given point on the curve.

3. How do you find the derivative of this equation?

To find the derivative of y = sin5 + log base 10 x + 2 sec x, we use the rules of differentiation for each term separately. The derivative of sin5 is 5cos5, the derivative of log base 10 x is 1/x, and the derivative of 2 sec x is 2sec x tan x. These derivatives are then added together to get the final derivative.

4. Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by using the trigonometric identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to rewrite sec x as 1/cos x. The equation can also be written in terms of natural logarithms by using the change of base formula for logarithms.

5. What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation is significant in mathematics as it demonstrates the use of multiple mathematical functions in a single equation. It also shows the application of differentiation in solving complex equations and finding the rate of change in real-world scenarios.