I'm not sure that anyone here knows the context or terminology of your problem.

• Thread starter surferbarney0729
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marginal
The problem is that MC=21 is the marginal cost of building ONE bike path, and the problem seems to say that the tax to build the paths will be shared equally by the three residents, and the town will just pay for the rest.So, if a=b=c=7 (as I originally thought), then the town would build 11 paths since Beth would demand 11 paths and the government wants to build the maximum number of paths asked for.But if the town is actually going to pay the marginal cost of each path, then they can only pay for one path since the total tax collected is only 7+7+7=21.So, there are two possible answers depending on how you interpret the problem. I would
surferbarney0729
confused

Andrew, Beth, and Cathy live in Lindhville. Andrew’s demand for bike paths, a public
good, is given by Q = 12 – 2P. Beth’s demand is Q = 18 – P, and Cathy’s is Q = 8 – P/3.
The marginal cost of building a bike path is MC = 21. The town government decides to
use the following procedure for deciding how many paths to build. It asks each resident how many paths they want, and it builds the largest number asked for by any
resident. To pay for these paths, it then taxes Andrew, Beth, and Cathy the prices a, b,
and c per path, respectively, where a + b + c = MC. (The residents know these tax
rates before stating how many paths they want.)

Can anyone help me on how the answers 0,11, and 2.67 where found using the MC being equal to 7?

I am missing something simple and am looking for some help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how much I can help. However:

You have not stated what the question is.
The problem statement, as you posted it, contains the contradictory statements MC=21 and MC=7. Does the actual problem statement really have both statements -- or is it supposed to be something other than MC in one of those statements?

The tax rates are shared equaly among the three residents. So in an a=b=c format the three residents all share the MC of 7.

I simply did plugging into figure out the demand, but in no way can see how to get 2.67

for example,

Q=12-2(7) = no demand for paths
Q=18-7 = 11 paths demanded
Q= 8-(7/3) = ...I see it as 5.67, but the answer is 2.67. This is where I become confused

Where do you get a=b=c from? The problem statement suggests they are not necessarily equal.

What is the actual question? What is it you are supposed to find? It's best if you can copy and paste or quote the complete problem statement in it's exact original words.

Andrew, Beth, and Cathy live in Lindhville. Andrew’s demand for bike paths, a public
good, is given by Q = 12 – 2P. Beth’s demand is Q = 18 – P, and Cathy’s is Q = 8 – P/3.
The marginal cost of building a bike path is MC = 21. The town government decides to
use the following procedure for deciding how many paths to build. It asks each resident how many paths they want, and it builds the largest number asked for by any
resident. To pay for these paths, it then taxes Andrew, Beth, and Cathy the prices a, b,
and c per path, respectively, where a + b + c = MC. (The residents know these tax
rates before stating how many paths they want.)

a. If the taxes are set so that each resident shares the cost evenly (a = b = c), how
many paths will get built?

Okay, this makes a lot more sense now.

In your work, you have correctly set a, b, and c all equal to 7=21/3=MC/3. It was confusing me that you started referring to MC as equal to 7 -- it is not 7, it is 21 as stated in the problem.

swoodward said:
Q=12-2(7) = no demand for paths
Q=18-7 = 11 paths demanded
Q= 8-(7/3) = ...I see it as 5.67, but the answer is 2.67. This is where I become confused
Looks like you have it worked out correctly, and I agree with the 5.67 number. Apparently whoever posted the solution made an error.

So, based on this, did you come up with the number of bike paths that the town builds?

This problem seems flawed to me...the marginal cost of 21 dollars is for building one bike path, so how can the town pay for any number of paths (other than one) if it only taxes a total of 21 dollars?

If a=b=c=7 and that's it (presumably the town will just pay from reserve funds or something), then there should be 11 paths built since Beth would demand 11 paths and the government wants to build the maximum number of paths asked for...

I thought it meant a=b=c=$7 per path. If they build 11 paths, they tax each person 11x$7 or $77. The town then collects 3x$77 = $231 total from the 3 citizens, just the amount needed to pay for 11 paths (11x$21 is $231).

From Andrew's standpoint, it is similar to my town taxing me to pay for the school system, even though I have no children and so do not benefit from the school system.

Ah, my mistake, I missed the "per path" part of the question. In that case...I think the answer should be 11...

Okay, though technically this is a homework question so we should let the OP provide the answer first.

I have moved this thread to Homework & Coursework Questions, "Other Sciences".

Last edited:

1. What is marginal cost?

Marginal cost is the change in total cost resulting from producing one additional unit of a product. It takes into account the additional cost of materials, labor, and other inputs needed to produce one more unit.

2. How is marginal cost calculated?

Marginal cost is calculated by dividing the change in total cost by the change in quantity produced. This can be represented by the equation MC = ΔTC/ΔQ, where MC is marginal cost, ΔTC is the change in total cost, and ΔQ is the change in quantity.

3. What is the relationship between marginal cost and demand?

The relationship between marginal cost and demand is inverse. As demand for a product increases, the marginal cost of producing each additional unit also increases. This is due to diminishing returns and the need for additional resources to meet the higher demand.

4. How do marginal cost and demand affect pricing?

Marginal cost and demand play a significant role in determining the pricing of a product. In a competitive market, firms will set their prices based on the marginal cost of production in order to maximize profits. If demand is high, prices may be higher to cover the higher marginal cost of production, but if demand is low, prices may be lower to stimulate demand.

5. How can a firm use marginal cost and demand to make production decisions?

A firm can use the concept of marginal cost and demand to make production decisions by analyzing the relationship between the two. If the marginal cost of producing an additional unit is lower than the price at which it can be sold, it is profitable for the firm to increase production. On the other hand, if the marginal cost is higher than the price, it may be more beneficial for the firm to decrease production. This analysis can help firms optimize their production levels and maximize profits.