I'm trying to find a general formula for a harmonic(ish) series

al4n
Im looking for a general formula for the partial sum of a series where the nth term is in the form of
a_n = 1/(c+kn),
where c and k are arbitrary constants.

it "looks" like a harmonic series but not in the form I'm capable of figuring out.
help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the sum? It is divergent! Or do you mean the partial sums? Or something else?

martinbn said:
Do you mean the sum? It is divergent! Or do you mean the partial sums? Or something else?
my bad I wasn't specific enough. I meant the partial sum.

al4n said:
my bad I wasn't specific enough. I meant the partial sum.
What is that for the harmonic series?

martinbn said:
What is that for the harmonic series?
what do you mean?

al4n said:
what do you mean?
Well, you said.
al4n said:
it "looks" like a harmonic series but not in the form I'm capable of figuring out.
help.
It sounds like you can figure out the case of the harmonic series, and want to do the same with the more general. Is it not what you mean?

martinbn said:
Well, you said.

It sounds like you can figure out the case of the harmonic series, and want to do the same with the more general. Is it not what you mean?
I guess. Is that not already figured out? Looking around, What I thought was the formula was in fact only an approximation. So what I should've first asked is, is there something like that to the specific example

al4n said:
I guess. Is that not already figured out? Looking around, What I thought was the formula was in fact only an approximation. So what I should've first asked is, is there something like that to the specific example
So to be clear: you are looking for a formula for ##f(m;c,k)=\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^m}\dfrac{1}{c+kn}## for any parameters ##c,k \in \mathbb{R}##?

In that case, the answer is
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=sum+(from+n=1+to+m)+1/(c+kn)=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamma_function

Likes dextercioby, WWGD, al4n and 1 other person
I'm not aware of the existence of a closed form for the ( Standard) Harmonic, only that the partial sums are never Integers. Uses Bertrand's lemma, which I believe it is now a theorem.

1. What is a harmonic(ish) series?

A harmonic(ish) series is a mathematical series that closely resembles a harmonic series, which is the sum of the reciprocals of the natural numbers. In a harmonic(ish) series, the terms may deviate slightly from the exact reciprocals of the natural numbers, but still exhibit similar properties.

2. Why are you trying to find a general formula for a harmonic(ish) series?

Finding a general formula for a harmonic(ish) series can help in understanding the behavior and properties of such series, and can be useful in various mathematical applications and calculations.

3. What is the general formula for a harmonic series?

The general formula for a harmonic series is given by: 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... + 1/n = ln(n) + γ, where ln(n) is the natural logarithm of n and γ is the Euler-Mascheroni constant.

4. How can one derive a general formula for a harmonic(ish) series?

Deriving a general formula for a harmonic(ish) series involves analyzing the pattern of the series and determining a formula that can express the sum of the terms in the series. This may require knowledge of calculus, algebra, and series analysis.

5. Are there any specific properties or applications of harmonic(ish) series?

Harmonic(ish) series can exhibit interesting properties such as convergence or divergence, and can be used in various mathematical and scientific contexts such as in physics, engineering, and finance for modeling and analysis purposes.