I'm trying to follow the proof given in Box 5.3 of MCP (Thorne/Blandford)

jouvelot
I'm trying to follow the proof given in Box 5.3, page 235, of the MCP book regarding the Van der Waals grand potential. It seems to me that there is a missing factor (2l−1)!/(l−1)! in the last term of Equation (8). What am I doing wrong?

Science news on Phys.org
Can you post a high-quality scan image of that box? Use the "Attach files" link below the edit window to upload the image. Thanks.

Thanks @berkeman

Here is the page you requested (the attached version seems to be of rather poor quality). I don't think the previous page is needed, but if you think it could be useful, please let me know.
The original, good quality image is available at https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ep2xqpo5ko9ybdancd33f/20240401_185542.jpg?rlkey=gnsw4ftd8ou2ea8konhgh6mn9&dl=0.

20240401_185542.jpg

1711998694491.png

The circled ##l!## terms should each be ##(2l)!##. The final line of (8), as given in the book, is correct.

• Informative
Likes jouvelot and berkeman
TSny said:
View attachment 342684

The circled ##l!## terms should each be ##(2l)!##. The final line of (8), as given in the book, is correct.
Ah, this makes a lot of sense, indeed. I was expecting Line 8 to be correct, since the rest of the proof follows through with this value, but couldn't find the error. Thanks a lot, @TSny, for spotting the error before that.

Likes berkeman