Image of a virtual object by a plane mirror

In summary, a plane mirror can form a virtual image of a real object placed in front of it and a real image of a virtual object placed in front of it. This occurs when converging rays from the object are intercepted by the mirror. A real object placed in front of a converging lens will produce converging rays on the other side, and if these rays are intercepted by a plane mirror, they will appear to come from a virtual object behind the mirror. This results in a real image being formed on the opposite side of the mirror. Diagrams are often helpful in understanding this concept.
physicsmaths1613
A plane mirror forms a virtual image of a real object placed in front of it and a real image of a virtual object placed in front of it. I can't picture the second case. Please show me a ray diagram showing real image formation by a plane mirror or just explain the case of real image formation by a plane mirror.

Science news on Phys.org
A real object produces diverging rays, a virtual object produces converging rays.
A real object placed in front of a converging lens (further than the focal point) will produce converging rays on the other side of the lens. If these converging rays are intercepted by a plane mirror they will appear to come from VIRTUAL OBJECT after reflection by the plane mirror a real image will be formed.

Likes physicsmaths1613
I think this is what you are asking. In the following crude drawing, the mirror is vertical, there are two rays that would converge to the right of the mirror to form an image of the tip of the arrow, hence a virtual object for the mirror. By the way, you said "virtual object placed in front of it"; the virtual object is behind the mirror, otherwise rays would diverge from your "virtual object" and you would have the first case you mentioned, a real object.

The actual rays reflect at the mirror and converge to a real image of the arrow tip to the left of the mirror.

Real%2BImage%2BVirtual%2BObject.jpg

Last edited:
Likes lychette and physicsmaths1613
Of course, after making up the drawing I finally found a link: http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-ray-optics/reflection-at-spherical-mirrors/

If you go down the page to the section Virtual and Real Images, the second diagram there shows four rays that would converge to a point if the mirror weren't there, hence a virtual object for the mirror. They converge in front of the mirror to form a real image.

lychette: not sure what you mean by the rays appearing to come from the virtual object.

pixel said:
Of course, after making up the drawing I finally found a link: http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-ray-optics/reflection-at-spherical-mirrors/

If you go down the page to the section Virtual and Real Images, the second diagram there shows four rays that would converge to a point if the mirror weren't there, hence a virtual object for the mirror. They converge in front of the mirror to form a real image.

lychette: not sure what you mean by the rays appearing to come from the virtual object.
it is just a choice of words ! Your diagram is exactly what I had in mind. For me the important thing is to realize that converging rays can become a real image or, if they are intercepted, a virtual object. And diverging rays can be from a real object or form a virtual image.
diagrams are the best way to illustrate the answer.

Related to Image of a virtual object by a plane mirror

What is an image of a virtual object by a plane mirror?

An image of a virtual object by a plane mirror is a reflection of the object in a mirror. It appears to be behind the mirror and is not a physical object itself.

How is the image of a virtual object by a plane mirror formed?

The image is formed through reflection, where light rays bouncing off the mirror's surface create the illusion of an object behind the mirror.

What are the characteristics of the image of a virtual object by a plane mirror?

The image is the same size as the object, but appears to be flipped horizontally. It is also located the same distance behind the mirror as the object is in front of it.

Can the image of a virtual object by a plane mirror be magnified or reduced?

No, the image of a virtual object by a plane mirror cannot be magnified or reduced. It is an exact replica of the object in terms of size and shape.

How does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the image of a virtual object by a plane mirror?

The distance between the object and the mirror has no effect on the size or location of the image. However, as the distance increases, the image will appear dimmer due to the spreading out of light rays.