Imaginary number manipulations

In summary, when evaluating the expression ##\sqrt{(-1)^2}##, it can have two different values depending on the order of operations. The first value is 1, obtained by performing the innermost operation first. The second value is -1, obtained by following the rules for radicals. The correct way to evaluate this expression depends on the context and intended use.
Mr Davis 97
I know that this is probably a very commonly asked question with students, but say that we have ##\sqrt{(-1)^2}##. If we performed the innermost operation first, then we have ##\sqrt{(-1)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1##. However, according to rules for radicals, we can do ##\sqrt{(-1)^2} = (\sqrt{-1})^2 = -1##. Which one of these is the correct way of going about evaluating the expression, and why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I know that this is probably a very commonly asked question with students, but say that we have ##\sqrt{(-1)^2}##. If we performed the innermost operation first, then we have ##\sqrt{(-1)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1##. However, according to rules for radicals, we can do ##\sqrt{(-1)^2} = (\sqrt{-1})^2 = -1##. Which one of these is the correct way of going about evaluating the expression, and why?

##\sqrt{(a)^2}## = |a|

Likes Mr Davis 97
If you are really going to study imaginary and complex numbers, you will find out that roots do not have unique values, but rather they can have several "branches". Notice that (-1)2 = 1. So you could also have a square root, sqrt(), of 1 where sqrt( -12 ) = sqrt( 1) = -1. The standard definition of √ is that it is the "principle branch". But that is just a convention, not a mathematical rule.

Likes DrewD

Related to Imaginary number manipulations

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written in the form of a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, denoted by "i". The imaginary unit is defined as the square root of -1, which does not have a real number solution. Therefore, imaginary numbers are often represented as a combination of a real number and "i".

2. How do you add and subtract imaginary numbers?

To add or subtract imaginary numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+5i) + (2+3i) = (3+2) + (5+3)i = 5+8i. Similarly, (3+5i) - (2+3i) = (3-2) + (5-3)i = 1+2i.

3. What is the purpose of imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are used to solve equations that do not have real number solutions. They are also used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. Additionally, imaginary numbers are helpful in visualizing complex numbers on a 2D graph, known as the complex plane.

4. How do you multiply and divide imaginary numbers?

To multiply imaginary numbers, you use the same rules as multiplying real numbers, but you also need to remember that i squared is equal to -1. For example, (3+4i) * (2+3i) = 6 + 9i + 8i + 12i squared = 6 + 17i - 12 = -6 + 17i. To divide imaginary numbers, you can use the same method as dividing by real numbers, but you also need to rationalize the denominator by multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator.

5. Can imaginary numbers be plotted on a number line?

No, imaginary numbers cannot be plotted on a traditional number line that only includes real numbers. However, they can be plotted on a complex plane, which consists of two perpendicular axes - the real axis and the imaginary axis. The complex plane allows for a visual representation of both real and imaginary numbers, with the real numbers on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers on the vertical axis.