Imaginary numbers and real numbers?

In summary, the possible values of z are -i, +i, -1, and 1. These are the only values that satisfy the equations z^12=1 and z^20=1, after simplification and factoring.
Ilikebugs
z is either a real, imaginary or complex number, and z^12=1 and z^20 also equals 1. What are all possible values of z?

I know 1 and -1 are them, and I think its also i and -i?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have:

\(\displaystyle z^{12}=1=z^{20}\)

We know $z\ne0$ so we may divide through by $z^{12}$ to get:

\(\displaystyle z^8-1=0\)

\(\displaystyle \left(z^4-1\right)\left(z^4+1\right)=0\)

Now, we observe that $z^4=-1$ satisfies neither original equation, so we are left with:

\(\displaystyle \left(z^4-1\right)=0\)

Next, factor as the difference of squares:

\(\displaystyle \left(z^2+1\right)\left(z^2-1\right)=0\)

Since $1=-(-1)=-i^2$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \left(z^2-i^2\right)\left(z^2-1\right)=0\)

Factor again:

\(\displaystyle (z+i)(z-i)(z+1)(z-1)=0\)

Thus, $z\in\{-i,+i,-1,1\}$, as you thought. :D

1. What are imaginary numbers and how do they differ from real numbers?

Imaginary numbers, denoted by i, are numbers that are expressed as the product of a real number and the imaginary unit i (√-1). They differ from real numbers in that they cannot be plotted on a number line and do not have a tangible physical meaning. Real numbers, on the other hand, can be plotted on a number line and represent quantities that can be measured in the real world.

2. What is the use of imaginary numbers in the field of mathematics?

Imaginary numbers are primarily used in complex numbers, which are a combination of real and imaginary numbers. They have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to calculate the current and voltage in alternating current circuits.

3. Can imaginary numbers be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided?

Yes, imaginary numbers follow the same rules of arithmetic as real numbers when it comes to addition, subtraction, and multiplication. However, division by i is not defined. To divide imaginary numbers, we need to rationalize the denominator by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.

4. What is the difference between a pure imaginary number and a complex number?

A pure imaginary number is a number that is expressed as the product of a real number and the imaginary unit i, while a complex number is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number. In other words, a complex number consists of both a real and imaginary part, while a pure imaginary number has a real part of 0.

5. How are imaginary numbers represented in the complex plane?

Imaginary numbers can be represented in the complex plane as points with coordinates (a, bi), where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The complex plane is a two-dimensional plane with the real numbers represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers on the vertical axis. This representation allows for a visual understanding of complex numbers and their operations.