Imaginary numbers multiply and divide

In summary, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the same operations as real numbers. However, additional properties and concepts, such as conjugates and moduli, are necessary to fully understand these operations. Further study in trigonometry and college algebra can provide a deeper understanding of complex numbers.
lrp3395
I don't really understand how to multiply and divide when numbers are in a+bi form

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lrp3395 said:
I don't really understand how to multiply and divide when numbers are in a+bi form

The operations work exactly the same as for just Real Numbers. That's in the beginning. Later, you learn properties of dealing with complex numbers. They are developed or derived logically.

You will learn what is a Conjugate of a complex number, and what happens if you multiply a complex number by its conjugate.

I do not fill in much for you here. You can study about Complex Numbers both in a Trigonometry book and in a College Algebra book.

lrp3395 said:

A complex number has the form x + iy, where x is called the real part and y is the imaginary part. (a+ib)(c+id) = (ac - bd) + i(cb + ad)This looks weird, but just factor it out and you will see why it happens:

(a+ib)(c+id) = ac + iad + ibc + i^2*bd

but we know that i = sqrt(-1) so i^2 = -1 so this becomes

ac + iad + ibc - bd = (ac - bd) + i(cb + ad)Dividing complex numbers is a little different. FIrst realize that if z = x+iy is a complex number, its complex conjugate is x - iy. We can imagine a graph:
(+ imaginary axis)
|
|-(iy) * (x+iy)
|
|
------|------- (+ x axis)
|
|
|-(-iy) * (x-iy)
(- imaginary axis)

We also know that the modulus of a complex number z (its distance from itself to the origin) is sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

If z = x + iy is a complex number, then 1/z = (x - iy)/(x^2 + y^2)

So think about what this means, first realize that we can break this into something clearer:

x/(x^2+y^2) - i(y/x^2+y^2) So first we are taking the complex conjugate, but first dividing the real and imaginary parts by the square of the modulusRealize we have the same familiar rules: associative, commutative, distributive...

What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

How do you multiply imaginary numbers?

To multiply imaginary numbers, you can use the FOIL method, just like with regular numbers. For example, (2+3i) * (4+5i) would be equal to 8+10i+12i+15i^2. Simplifying this, we get 8+22i-15, which equals -7+22i.

Why do we use imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are used to solve mathematical problems that involve negative numbers, such as taking the square root of a negative number. They also have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and electronics.

Can you divide imaginary numbers?

Yes, you can divide imaginary numbers. To divide by a complex number, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. For example, (5+2i) / (3-4i) becomes [(5+2i) * (3+4i)] / [(3-4i) * (3+4i)], which simplifies to (23+26i) / 25.

What is the difference between multiplying and dividing imaginary numbers?

The main difference is that when multiplying imaginary numbers, you add the exponents of i, while when dividing, you subtract the exponents of i. For example, (2i)^3 would be equal to 8i^3, which can be simplified to -8i. On the other hand, (2i)^-3 would be equal to 1 / (8i^3), which simplifies to -1 / 8i.