Imagining Multiple Ringworlds Around a Star - Is it Possible?

• Thread starter Chatterton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of a system of Niven ring megastructures around a star, with the question of whether or not it is preposterous and the potential challenges of creating such a structure. There is also discussion about the amount of space and mass that would be involved, and suggestions for ideas and inspirations from other sources. The concept of multiple rings being connected in a Celtic knot is also mentioned. Overall, while the idea of a ring megastructure is possible, the challenge lies in creating a perceivable gravity on the surface.
Chatterton
Every time I see the sun that hangs over the map of Westeros (https://i.stack.imgur.com/pqf90.jpg) I find myself imaging a system of Niven ring megastructures around a star. I know it's preposterous, but just how preposterous is it?

Also, if it is remotely hypothetically plausible, would the rings have similar perceived gravity (assuming they were all similar in construction)?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Personally, I'd rate it as preposterous but then I'd rate a single ringworld as preposterous (but perhaps not technically impossible; I'm not sure)
2) They have different diameters but if spun at different speeds they could all have the same perceived gravity

Last edited:
Likes Chatterton
How much mass does each ring have? Are they within the gravity well of another ring? IIRC Ringworld had a surface area of 600,000,000,000 square kilometers. Multiple ringworlds would have a multiple of that number. What would we do with all that space? Why would we need all that space?

Pretty picture, and there are things similar your idea on Deviant Art. Might look there for some ideas?

Likes Chatterton
Niven wrote an article for Analog in 1974, which was later included in his anthology "A Hole in Space", which was titled "Bigger Than Worlds", in which he discusses a number of different types of mega-structures.

Likes Chatterton
Janus said:
Niven wrote an article for Analog in 1974, which was later included in his anthology "A Hole in Space", which was titled "Bigger Than Worlds", in which he discusses a number of different types of mega-structures.
He noted in the preface to Ringworld Engineers that engineering students, at one of the comicons, had been chanting in the halls, "The Ringworld is unstable!" :cool:

Likes Chatterton
Janus said:

I like the Cosmic Macaroni idea. Maybe the multiple rings are a single continuous band woven into a Celtic knot.

The ring megastructure is quite possible. The difficulty is giving the surface a perceivable gravity.

Related to Imagining Multiple Ringworlds Around a Star - Is it Possible?

1. Can multiple ringworlds exist around a star simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible for multiple ringworlds to exist around a star at the same time. However, the stability of such a system would depend on the distances between each ringworld and their respective orbits around the star. If the rings were too close to each other, they could potentially interfere with each other's gravitational pull and destabilize the system.

2. What factors would determine the feasibility of having multiple ringworlds around a star?

The feasibility of having multiple ringworlds around a star would depend on several factors, including the size and mass of the star, the distance between each ringworld and the star, and the materials and technology used to build the ringworlds. It would also require careful planning and calculations to ensure the stability of the system.

3. How would the presence of multiple ringworlds affect the habitability of a solar system?

The presence of multiple ringworlds around a star would likely have a significant impact on the habitability of the solar system. The ringworlds could potentially block sunlight and cause temperature fluctuations on planets within the system. They could also affect the gravitational pull and orbits of other objects in the system, potentially disrupting the habitability of those planets.

4. Could multiple ringworlds be used for colonization or space travel?

It is possible that multiple ringworlds could be used for colonization or space travel, depending on their size, materials, and technological capabilities. They could potentially provide a large habitable space and serve as a launching point for further space exploration. However, the challenges of building and maintaining such a complex system would need to be carefully considered.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to having multiple ringworlds around a star?

Yes, there could be potential risks or drawbacks to having multiple ringworlds around a star. As mentioned earlier, the stability of the system would need to be carefully monitored and maintained. The presence of ringworlds could also have a significant impact on the natural environment and resources of the solar system, potentially causing unforeseen consequences for the inhabitants of the system. Additionally, the construction and maintenance of multiple ringworlds would require a significant amount of resources and could pose ethical considerations.