Impedance/admittance (acoustic) models for outdoor ground and seafloor

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of impedance, specifically in relation to seafloor and terrestrial soil. While there are mathematical models to calculate impedance for porous materials, there is a lack of models specifically for seafloor. The conversation also touches on the concept of acoustic impedance and the difference between liquid water and air in terms of energy storage and phase shifting. Ultimately, it is expected for seafloor layers to have a real impedance while terrestrial soil can have a complex impedance.
bustun
TL;DR Summary
Can seafloor impedance get a complex value such as ground (porous materials)?
There are some mathematical models (eg Delany-Bazley) to calculate impedance of porous materials and these formulas give complex impedance values as a result. But I could not find any model to be used for seafloor (underwater ground modeling) or I don't know if existing models may be used. I usually got real values for impedances of seafloor.
Are there any physical explanation for seafloor impedance being a real value (not having an imaginary part) or can seafloor impedance also be modeled as a complex number?
Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you mean electrical impedance.

Yes of course. Line-to-ground capacitance is highly significant for overhead lines and is it much higher for underground or underwater cables.

For large scale power transmission, HVDC has big advantages over AC.

There was a lot of research on sea bottom impedance when trans-Atlantic single-wire telegraphs were first proposed in the 1800s. Would that be helpful to you?

Likes bustun
Thanks for your explanation but I mean acoustic impedance.

I apologize for not making it clear.

Oops, I also thought you meant electrical transmission line impedance. What does imaginary acoustical impedance mean? Does it mean some transverse component to the normal longitudinal sound transmission?

No, as far as I know, it is explained as the phase between pressure and velocity at the ground (or the impedance plane).

Likes bustun
berkeman, thank you very much for your help.

I have read the second reference already but the first and third ones are new for me.
These papers are dealing with the subject in detail but as I explained they are gettin real values for seafloor impedance and I am interested into understand if impedance can be a complex value for seafloor.

bustun said:
I am interested into understand if impedance can be a complex value for seafloor.
Yeah, I'm only seeing real numbers for the seafloor references like this one:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/acoustic-impedance

Do you have an example of a reference for regular soil that shows complex values? It may take a non-isotropic medium to generate any phase shift to make the impedance complex...

Acoustic impedance can be complex if the surface layer is springy and has mass. The storage of energy in the surface as compression of a gas, and the momentum of mass, produce a complex impedance. The self resonant frequency of the layer is important. The complex impedance of the layer is highly frequency dependent near the resonant frequency.

• Informative
Likes bustun and berkeman
Thanks Baluncore for your neat explanation.

Do you have any comment on ground in contact with air having a complex impedance whereas seafloor has real impedance value? Two references are in the following.

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.2338288
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321661766_Acoustic_impedance_properties_of_seafloor_sediments_off_the_coast_of_Southeastern_Hainan

Does this have relation with water being denser than air and canceling springy nature of surface layer? (This is just my simple interpretation, I would be pleased to hear yours.)

bustun said:
Does this have relation with water being denser than air and canceling springy nature of surface layer? (This is just my simple interpretation, I would be pleased to hear yours.)
Fundamentally, it comes down to liquid water being incompressible, while air is compressible.

A terrestrial soil has particles with mass, and unless it is saturated with water, usually contains compressible air between the soil particles.

Sediment on the sea floor is saturated with water, any gas is dissolved or rises to the surface, so there is no energy storage mechanism available to phase shift the acoustic signal energy.

• Informative
Likes bustun and berkeman
As I understand from your explanation, it is normal to expect a real impedance for seafloor layers while terrestrial soil can have a complex impedance.

Thank you very much, your explanations are very helpful.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an impedance/admittance model for outdoor ground and seafloor?

An impedance/admittance model is a mathematical representation of the acoustic properties of outdoor ground and seafloor. It is used to predict how sound waves will behave when traveling through these environments, taking into account factors such as soil composition, water depth, and temperature.

2. How are impedance/admittance models used in scientific research?

Impedance/admittance models are used in a variety of scientific fields, including oceanography, geology, and acoustics. They are used to study the propagation of sound waves in different environments and to understand the effects of environmental factors on sound transmission.

3. What data is needed to create an impedance/admittance model?

To create an accurate impedance/admittance model, researchers need data on the physical properties of the outdoor ground or seafloor, such as soil or sediment composition, water depth, and temperature. They also need data on the acoustic properties of the environment, such as sound speed and attenuation.

4. How do impedance/admittance models differ from other acoustic models?

Impedance/admittance models are specifically designed to predict sound propagation in outdoor ground and seafloor environments, while other acoustic models may focus on different types of environments, such as air or man-made structures. Impedance/admittance models also take into account the complex interactions between sound waves and the environment, while other models may make simplifying assumptions.

5. What are the limitations of impedance/admittance models?

Impedance/admittance models are based on mathematical equations and therefore may not always accurately reflect the real-world conditions of outdoor ground and seafloor environments. They also rely on accurate input data, so any errors or uncertainties in the data can affect the accuracy of the model. Additionally, these models may not take into account all factors that can affect sound propagation, such as ocean currents or wind.